HybridZ

1JZ bell housing?

jkgts1

Thanks for the replies, I was asking about the part number because I was going to see if the local Toyota dealer will be willing to order it for me. My uncle works there so they give me his discount. I was trying to see if I could get it cheaper. And yes I have the R154 sitting in my garage, I just pulled it from a local junk yard.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allight
132237. HP freaks, or driftmotion

Is this number or any other id on the bell? I have found a R154 in a junkyard, but unable to work out if its a 7m or 1,2j. gearbox has broken case but bell ok. no engine there to line it up on and i have not yet found an engine myself .cant find any part numbers on it.

difficult to visually id it, all the pictures on the net of both 7m and 1j look to be the same, even tho I know there is differences.

anyone know of any marks or measurements that might help to id it?

Is this number or any other id on the bell? I have found a R154 in a junkyard, but unable to work out if its a 7m or 1,2j. gearbox has broken case but bell ok. no engine there to line it up on and i have not yet found an engine myself .cant find any part numbers on it.

difficult to visually id it, all the pictures on the net of both 7m and 1j look to be the same, even tho I know there is differences.

anyone know of any marks or measurements that might help to id it?

If I recall correctly, the US didn't get any JZ bellhousings for the R154 (only the W58 and Getrag). More then likely that transmission is from a 7M-GTE.

Mario

Mario, you're right on this one - neither the US nor Euro market got the 1JZ-GTE, which means that the R154 was available only in the MA71 Supra Turbo.

A few days ago I discussed the Toyota transmission topic with my friends, and it seems that the Lexus W58s from the JZZ30 SC300 (the "s" is critical here) is stronger than your usual W58 found in the Supra. It's said to withstand as much as 500 daily driven HP, but it's not a 100% bolt-on swap. To change over to the W58s, you need the Lexus flywheel, Supra shifter (Lexus tranny has a shifter extension) and a modified driveshaft. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, but it may be a nice alternative...

Guest allight

after a lot af serching found this picture on supra forums showing 7m and 1jz bellhousing together, the post says the 1j is the shorter one,if this is right I have got $20 worth of lucky.:-D only differance that is obvious if you are not looking at them at the same time is the position of this bolthole circled.

can anyone confirm that the 1j is definately the shorter one with no bolthole between the two ribs and the 7m is the one that has the bolthole between the 2 ribs

bellhousings_7mvs1jz_2_thumb.jpg

Guest allight

this picture from ebay the bell that has no bolthole between the ribs on the left side is definately the 1j not the m7.unfortunit this seller is on the east coast ,good price on what i want

new006_thumb.jpg