my 1jz 260z

timbo1jz

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a few pics of the exhaust I made. It's a full 3 inch that tucks up very nice and doesn't hang low. I have plenty of hangers and brackets for support, and I put in a flex section up front to take some stress of of my turbo manifold. I know its long, but it installs easy and comes out easy. I'll get some pics of it in the car after I install my driveshaft that needs to be made hopefully this week.

260zzz148.jpg

260zzz149.jpg

260zzz151.jpg

Got my replacement strut housing put in after realizing that my old one was badly bent. Had to repaint and reweld on a new coilover collar, but the suspension is finally pretty much done. I also got my new custom cv shafts installed too and they fit perfectly. Going to to do the wiring and interior stuff next, so not too much longer!

260zzz144.jpg

260zzz142.jpg

260zzz138.jpg

Hi Timbo, very nice build. I used two Dynomax mufflers on my 7mgte. I put one in the middle and one on the end with very good results, nice low tone at idle and no droning in the interior of the car going down the road.

I got a N1 muffler and 3" resonator that should be here next week..i hope i can get a nice performance tone with that set up...

Keep in mind you can tune the exhaust note by moving the muffler and resonator around. If/when I finally stick the 2JZ in my 280Z, I'll be putting a single Dynomax 3" muffler in the tranny tunnel and no muffler in the back so it doesn't sound like a Supra. It should be a bit raspier that way, but we'll see...er... hear.

Keep in mind you can tune the exhaust note by moving the muffler and resonator around. If/when I finally stick the 2JZ in my 280Z, I'll be putting a single Dynomax 3" muffler in the tranny tunnel and no muffler in the back so it doesn't sound like a Supra. It should be a bit raspier that way, but we'll see...er... hear.

Ok cool, im looking for a deep performance tone, with no rasp..just a smooth high performance sound...like the famous dewgo

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1jz-SC-exhaust-note_198860.htm

Ok cool, im looking for a deep performance tone, with no rasp..just a smooth high performance sound...like the famous dewgo

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1jz-SC-exhaust-note_198860.htm

Sounds great but too refined for "new" technology or something like that. Refined? I'd like mine to sound as much like an L28ET as possible (to a degree); either way, most of the Z guys put their mufflers at the end of the system and I'd like to try it midway and see what I get.

I think you mean "Drewgo," by the way.

POI - I have a XR4Ti with the Ford 2.3 turbo four cylinder. All the XR guys put their mufflers at the end, too, and sound just like truck engines. Mine, on the other hand, sounds a whole lot like a cammed EVO - for what it's worth, I've spent a lot of time around modified EVO 8-10's in the past couple years.

yah, I used a 3" dynomax muffler too and that thing was literally straight through with no restriction. It is definitely going to be loud, but thats what I want. I like the raspy, ricey sound of an uncorked 1jz. If its too loud, then I'll add one more near the tranny area.

yah, I used a 3" dynomax muffler too and that thing was literally straight through with no restriction. It is definitely going to be loud, but thats what I want. I like the raspy, ricey sound of an uncorked 1jz. If its too loud, then I'll add one more near the tranny area.
Are you talking about the glasspack I see on your exhaust? I don't think that'll do much for muffling. It'll be loud for sure! You'd better get some decent video.

yah, its a race muffler they say, supposed to have less restriction than glasspack, so I went with that. I have a feeling its going to be insane loud, which I can roll for a while, but most likely will have to add a resonator. the reason I used that was because of clearence issues with my big 16 gallon fuel cell.

yah, its a race muffler they say, supposed to have less restriction than glasspack, so I went with that. I have a feeling its going to be insane loud, which I can roll for a while, but most likely will have to add a resonator. the reason I used that was because of clearence issues with my big 16 gallon fuel cell.
You've got plenty of room for a muffler in the tranny tunnel. Plus, I'd be surprise if you can't still fit an oval muffler in next to the fuel cell in the stock location.

isnt your wideband a little to close to the turbo? it would get need to be replace much sooner at that location right?
Yup hate to tell you but those Widebands are wayyyyy to close, your gonna fry 180 bucks worth of sensors in a few minutes of driving. I would mount them down near your transmission bell housing right at the base of your DP.

I have had mine closer to the Turbo than that for years, it will be fine.

Also you will be very surprised at how quiet your exhaust is at idle and regular driving rpms. Mine is straight thru with a home made straight thru muffler and its perfect, not to loud and not too quiet. Im getting old and wouldnt mind if it was a little quieter, but everyone that hears it says its perfect.

Progress is going pretty good. .......I also got a custom made braided steel clutch hose to use a 260z clutch master cylinder to a Toyota R154 slave cylinder, compliments of my friend Aaron at Driftmotion.com. Here are a few pics.
Ask Aaron about going for a ride in mine. Mine was only at 16~17psi when I took him for a spin.

Well, I finally, finally got the total suspension and brakes done. Just waiting on my driveshaft before I can get my exhaust put back on, and then I will be totally done with the drivetrain/suspension. Got the new wheels on and they look sweet. I rolled the fenders and it looks like I will be good on clearence on all 4 corners. The car looks sweet, and better than it does in the pictures. Getting close! Here are a few pics-

260zzz163.jpg

260zzz164.jpg

260zzz165.jpg

260zzz172.jpg