HybridZ

Anyone seen an LQ4 swap done?

I haven't seen an LQ4 swapped S30 yet.

How about all of you?

- Heres mine so far -

87n02n5.jpg

80pm6ie.jpg

And to remember that about 2-3 months ago when I got it...

dsc04754nq8.jpg

Drove it home for a thousand bucks and just ripped into it. Im glad its coming along like it is.

I know it seems crazy that I ripped into that body and welded the headlight buckets to the fenders and got rid of the side markers and all that crazy stuff, but it was actually for the sake of the car, as I had knocked on quite a few spots and they were of course bondoed. Took the time to replace all the sheetmetal that needed to be. Worth it in the end.

Heres my mod list of parts that are sitting in my room or already on the car - 1977 Datsun 280Z - LQ4 6.0 (LS2 iron block) - sanderson headers - LS1 intake - W4MP tune - RAM lvl 3 HD clutch - 15 lb flywheel - T56 - B&M Precision Sport - LS2 oil pan - Full 3.5" Exhaust - Dynomax Bullits - Dynomax muffler - JTR aluminum radiator -

Funny that you ask..

I was planning an LT1 swap, not painting the car, and not T56ing it. Doing it on a very tight budget....

My buddy showed me a simple tune on a stock LQ4 and it really irritated me that I could supercharge the LT1 and almost make what the stock LQ4 TRUCK ENGINE made with ONLY A TUNE...

So I sold my KTM 640 supermoto and started the venture.. Finished total should be about $6500 after factoring in everything you need just to do the swap and have a nice car to swap it in.

I still have to buy (after that 6500) wheel tires suspension brakes yada yada yada

Yeah, about that damn LS2 oil pan.

Everyone on every forum has said, "get the LS2 oil pan!!! It has teh greatar baffling and this and that........

I tried to fit that pile in there for 4 hours last night, not happening.

It doesn't fit. Period.

I was probably one of the chatter boxes. Got the info out of magazines and from people on this site, but haven't done it myself.

Any insight on exactly what doesn't fit? Did you get the matching oil pump pick up, windage tray and dipstick?

If it doesn't fit I will shut up, but I'm telling you I have read that in multiple places so something must be going on.

BTW, looking forward to your completed swap. This could be the new direction for LS swaps since the LS1 motors are getting so much harder to come by.

1. The pan is a front sump and the front of the oil pan goes so far down you cant clear the crossmember even when dropping the crossmember about 6 inches. Ask me how I know.

2.The sump area hits the crossmember when trying to bolt motor up, even after you have pryed and wedged the engine in there for 7 hours.

Anyone think I could use the truck pan? It clears, works, and all that. I dont know how much ground clearance though because it was 530am last night when i stopped working, had to get up for work at 8 :evil:

Truck pan is rear sump and will work. Anyone have any reasons why not to use it?

You got the wrong pan

From this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118395&highlight=ls2+pan

I got the May 2007 issue of Hot Rod. They have a section on motor swaps and detail the LS motors. They mention Moroso and Mildon both offer LS pans now. Summit carries them' date=' although the one Moroso pan is $650 and the other, while about $200, requires a remote oil filter.

According to them, the LS2 pan MikeJTR talks about is the new pan of choice. It is about an inch shallower than the F body pan, but has much better oil baffles. According to this article it gives the car a 5.5 quart oil capacity, down from 6.5 quart with the old gull wing pan.

12581810_side.jpg

C6 LS2 oil pan (has shallow rear sump) (kit with bolts/gasket) = 12581810

C6 LS2 oil pick-up screen (same used on LS6) = 12558750

C6 LS2 oil deflector (same as used on LS6/LS1) = 12558189

C6 LS2 dipstick = 12570788

C6 LS2 dipstick tube = 12570787

GM parts direct wants $230 for just the pan, but add on $51 shipping and handling.

The truck pan is supposedly an inch or two deeper than the LS1 F body pan. The F body pan hangs and inch or so below the Z cross member as it is. I don't think the truck pan will give adequate ground clearance.

It was a well thought out project and oil pan was one thing that skimmed over my head, didn't really research it enough. I figured LS2 oil pan is an LS2 oil pan.

JCI mounts, JTR headers and tranny mount, the rest of my mods and stuff I posted at the bottom of my first post on this thread.