HybridZ

JY LS Parts

Does anyone have any luck finding parts for their LS motors in their local pick and pulls?

I need a starter for my LS crate motor. I knew from past experience that there would be zero F body or corvette engines available. But since the starters are the same from trucks and escalades thought I could find something. But every truck I looked at had an empty engine bay or a throttle body motor (i.e. not 3rd gen).

Was hoping I could get a $20 starter. Autozone wants $180 for an OEM rebuilt.

Might have to wait till after dark and hit a parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...
I can find them on car-parts.com. But they want $50 to $75. Pic and pulls only want $20 or so.

Will probably do the $50 option.

I'm telling you, the Gen III SBC vehicles get the engines yanked out before they hit the yard.

Just curious as to why you would want to put a used starter on a new crate engine. You paid all that money for a sweet new motor, now you want to save a few $$ on a starter? Don't cut corners here. Get the new starter. It will cost you more time and aggrevation later when you have to change that used starter on the side of the road on a hot August day when you could be out cruising.

Just Sayin'

Just curious as to why you would want to put a used starter on a new crate engine. You paid all that money for a sweet new motor, now you want to save a few $$ on a starter? Don't cut corners here. Get the new starter. It will cost you more time and aggrevation later when you have to change that used starter on the side of the road on a hot August day when you could be out cruising.

Just Sayin'

I think about that too. Guess it comes down to trying to save a little money.

Autozone starters are typically rebuilt junk, just cleaner.

GM wants some stupid amount of money for a new unit. The only real aftermarket options are a Powermaster unit at $217, a red MSD unit at $240 and a summit brand unit for $160. I already returned the summit unit cause it doesn't really work on LS motors.

Kind of hard to argue 200+ vs. 20 or so when it will do nothing to make the car go faster. Especially when everyone on LS1tech.com seems to stay with a stock unit.

Figure that decision can wait until I bolt the headers up for the last time.

Just Sayin'

Not necessarily. The starter on my dad's '76 F-100 (302 2v) went bad years ago, and he put a brand hammer new one on it from the Ford dealership. Dead in two months. Replaced that one with a junkyard one, been going strong for probably 8 years now.

Maybe growing up with 3 junkyards in a 1 mile radius of my house has affected my mindset.

Ha, none of the junkyards around here ever get the good stuff like LSxs or 944s. I've never seen one Z newer than 89 in a junkyard around here. Never even seen a Q45 in the junkyard. This is fine with me, though, I love the L(ET) and VG30ET. And everything I need to keep the '76 Maverick(4.1 litre I6) goin is a minute away.

Pop N Wood

Just incase you haven't seen these guys on Ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

No idea on their pricing, but they do have good feedback and list a ton of LSx stuff. Not sure where in MD you are but they may not be too far away as they're just outside of Philadelphia in Bristol, Pa.

I was planning to use them to source items when I finally get my swap started.