HybridZ

looking for a used air compessor and generator..

OlderThanMe

That's right folks! I'm looking into buying a decent air compressor and a 4000+ watt generator. I have about $650 to buy the two.

60 gallon air compressors are about $350 in craigslist

Like this: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/515640090.html

I really need a good generator because I am going to be doing a bunch of welding and using the air compressor.

Any good brands to look for/stay away from for the generator or air compressor?

I'd like to hear any experiences that you guys have had with certain brands/sizes of generators or air compressors.

HF has this nice 29 gallon, 4hp tank that can do about 14CFM @ 90PSI for around $340~ish. Would that be worth it WITH the warranty?

Thanks!

OTM

Are you planning to power the compressor using the generator? FWIW we just bought a coleman 5000W generator from homedepot, $400, subaru engine. It cannot start the air compressor, which is a small 20 gallon unit. The generator can run two 'fridges, a freezer, a few heat exchanger blowers, some lights - at the same time - but the compressor was too much.

Lowes has their 60 gallon compressor (3.7 running hp I think) for $299 right now. I have a 5000 watt Coleman generator that I run a 5hp Coleman compressor on in our shed at the farm. Never tried a welder on the generator. I have an SA 200 Pipeliner which is a 300 amp DC gasoline welder, but unfortunately it is only 115v DC output for grinders, drills, saws, etc.