HybridZ

My simple aluminum dash.

EMWHYR0HEN

With regards to the "sharp" edges, I need to post updated pics as I've trimmed more and the dash is now, as of yesterday afternoon, bolted in. I'll be lining the edges with a rubber trim that will cover it. What I really like is I can remove it by loosening 6 bolts.

I weighed a stock dash with all the brackets and then weighed mine with all the hardware, the switchbox bolted in and the shift light and gages loaded and I still lost 37 pounds net weight. :shock:

Mike

Myron...that dash you made is first rate. I love it, especially the short overhang. Too bad you dont live in this area, a friend of mine is a GREAT tig welder. He could fuse it together in a heartbeat....aside from that the fasteners look hard core!

I gotta laugh.....2 4x8 sheets? Were you planning on making a mistake....or three? haha you must make things like I do!

On my 240SX track car I covered the inside door with aluminum sheet as well. Attached it with rivets so I can drill them out quickly as required.

If possible you might consider making a CAD template for the others to follow. Im sure it would be used often by DIYers.

On a final note you may want to lock tight the fasteners if you havent already.

Thanx

Myron...that dash you made is first rate. I love it, especially the short overhang. Too bad you dont live in this area, a friend of mine is a GREAT tig welder. He could fuse it together in a heartbeat....aside from that the fasteners look hard core!

I gotta laugh.....2 4x8 sheets? Were you planning on making a mistake....or three? haha you must make things like I do!

On my 240SX track car I covered the inside door with aluminum sheet as well. Attached it with rivets so I can drill them out quickly as required.

If possible you might consider making a CAD template for the others to follow. Im sure it would be used often by DIYers.

On a final note you may want to lock tight the fasteners if you havent already.

Thanx

Thanks Jerry.

Edit: I got 2 2X4 aluminum sheets, not 4x8!

I could have made a car with that much metal!

Can you share pictures of the door panels? I was thinking about it, I just need to get a picture in my head.

To cover that metal edge you can get some fender beading stuff and it will slip over and hold fairly tightly.

It is also used to put on the rear edge of your door so you won't lose paint when using the door as a tool to "move" other cars.

They have it at autozone and other places for a couple dollars.

Might be worth looking into.

OTM

... I should have looked at page two first before posting this...LOL

Looking good Myron! My question is, have you fixed that lovely header/exhaust join you had going on a while back?

Dave

Thanks Dave, Haha yeah I was able to pry the incredible hulks grip off and i'm going to run it straight out the header out the fender. When's the next canyon run?!

Dang, nice job dude. That looks great. I have a question for you though.

How did you mount your steering collumn? Doesnt it get bolted in with the factory dash? I assume you made some sort of brace for it. I ask because I was thinking about using a plastic factory dash overlay thing as my dash and just making brackets for all my gauges and stuff.

Thanks

Dang, nice job dude. That looks great. I have a question for you though.

How did you mount your steering collumn? Doesnt it get bolted in with the factory dash? I assume you made some sort of brace for it. I ask because I was thinking about using a plastic factory dash overlay thing as my dash and just making brackets for all my gauges and stuff.

Thanks

there is a piece seperate from the dash that the steering column and pedals bolt to. you cant really see it in the pics.