HybridZ

LS1 messurments vs. reg SBC

Guest MHB240z

Guest MHB240z

Ok, I'm puting a 350 sbc in a 1974 Mustang II. I know this is a Z forum. But I thout you guys would be the best to ask. I'm try to put a T-56 with it. I'm now just thinking I should just put the whole LS1 swap in it. because of the prices I'm getting to make the T-56 work with the 350. But I already have a space problems with the 350. I need to know how mush bigger is the LS1 engine. & were is it bigger at. I'm talking about its fiscal appearance. I know alot about the LS1 engine. But I need its measurements. I'm also looking for a wrecked LS1/6speed Camaro or Trans am, 98 & up preferably. I live in Tampa, FL.

thanks

I'm not giving any exact measurements here, but going off memory, the LS1 is wider at the bottom, but I'm not sure it's that much wider at the top, if any at all. There's a book on LS1s that I'd recommend buying. It has all the dimensions of the motor, both the internals, and the external physical measurements... Go to Borders Books and check.

And you're correct on your assumption that making a 6 speed work with the standard Chevy V8 will be more expensive. I totalled that up a while back and I believe you're gonna end up with about $1500 worth of flywheel/clutch/pressureplate/bellhousing "stuff".

What you gain though is the LS1 is a lot SHORTER on the hood clearance. It's a great fit in the Zcar because of that, as you can lower it in the chassis a significant amount compared to the standard Chevy V8.

posted by MHB240Z

I need to know how mush bigger is the LS1 engine. & were is it bigger at. I'm talking about its fiscal appearance.

Fiscally the LS motors are significantly larger than the 1st gen sbc.

I know alot about the LS1 engine.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt

I don't know that an LS is fiscally any larger than a SBC. I know for a fact you can use a first gen bellhousing on an LS1 and bolt that to a muncie or TKO. so everything from their on back can be identical if so desired.

I believe the motors have the same bore spacings, so I would be suprised if the length is very different.

Just looking at pics of Z car swaps the motors seem to have the same basic clearance for headers and such. The lack of a distributor seems to make the LS motors smaller than the first gens. The low mounted alternator causes some Z car issues, but that can be moved also.

Ok, I'm puting a 350 sbc in a 1974 Mustang II. I know this is a Z forum. But I thout you guys would be the best to ask. I'm try to put a T-56 with it. I'm now just thinking I should just put the whole LS1 swap in it. because of the prices I'm getting to make the T-56 work with the 350. But I already have a space problems with the 350. I need to know how mush bigger is the LS1 engine. & were is it bigger at. I'm talking about its fiscal appearance. I know alot about the LS1 engine. But I need its measurements. I'm also looking for a wrecked LS1/6speed Camaro or Trans am, 98 & up preferably. I live in Tampa, FL.

thanks

WHY?

I don't mean to be a smart A*&%SS but are you a chevy guy that got a good deal on a mustang or a ford guy that wants to do a different swap?

With so much support for Fords, a SBF engine is a no brainer for that car and for the cost of an LS1 and a T56 you can buy a sweet Ford crate engine for that money.

Just Sayin'

Actually, this sounds like a clever swap. Relatively cheap, lightweight car with anemic stock engine, and moderately roomy engine compartment.

The main trouble spot will probably be exhaust header clearance between the strut towers, and clearance between the driver's side header and the steering shaft.

But fiscally... the LSx will be a lot larger than a Gen-1 SBC, because of economies of scale, supply and demand, etc. Sorry, couldn't resist! :-)