HybridZ

Bought a Whipple today, but I don't think the LQ4 will be going in now

I've been looking forward to this supercharged LQ4 powerplant for my '75 Widebody, but after adding up the numbers, my "budget build" is costing at least $10k. I'll be eliminating a/c and p/s - tell me if my numbers look about right:

LQ4 $1,500.00

Engine Mounts $300.00

Tranny Mount $135.00

Driveshaft $235.00

Headers $330.00

L92 Heads $910.00

Cam $450.00

Intake $50.00

Electronics $350.00

Oil pan $200.00

Fuel Pump $175.00

Fuel Rails $200.00

Injectors $200.00

Transmission $1,500.00

Z06 Clutch/Fly $750.00

Exhaust $150.00

Radiator $220.00

I'm sure there's more, but these seemed like the main things off the top of my head. This doesn't include the whipple, which I picked up used for $1750. The guy I bought it from is running the smallest pulley that Whipple would sell him, and can only build 6.5psi on his stock 6.0 with it, so I would have to have a custom pulley made (even though I'm afraid of the stress levels it might put on the whipple) He also said he was seeing intake temps around 212*, which suprised me because one of their selling points is low intake temps...? I wish I would've researched this BEFORE I bought the whipple :rolls eyes:

In short - do these numbers look correct? Any extras items I have on the list that I don't need? I know the prices will vary, but I think should be close. The car currently has a running sbc/4spd muncie - I have a big shot kit in the garage I may just install instead, but the thought of a 700+ whp setup in that little car makes me smile every time - it's the price tag that kills me. Plus, I don't like having to refill my horsepower. Opinions? Carb'd blow-through LQ4? :-)

Not bad for ballpark numbers. Although many of them look on the low side.

Exhaust in particular looks low. You will need the oil pump pickup, dipstick and windage tray also. Not sure what you will need to spend to mount and plumb the SC.

Add another $500 to $1000 for miscellaneous, like gaskets, fuel fittings, fasteners and what not.

Also a stock LS1/6 intake is probably not the best option for a blown motor. The carb intakes actually flow better with large displacement motors.

And what about upgraded injectors to handle the extra HP? And software to retune the ECM? Will you be modifying a stock harness? What are you going to do about guages? And cooling, do you already have a good radiator and electric fan?

I would suggest an LS7 clutch and flywheel rather than a stock Z06 unit. I think the total on that is more like $400 than $750. Will still need a new MC and lines.

And you haven't mentioned the rear end...

Rear end is out of a C3 vette, and the whipple comes with everything needed to run (hoses, pulleys, belt, aux injectors, whipple wiring, etc.)

I have a buddy to do the exhaust, and they'll be side pipes with dynomax ultraflo mufflers I already have.

I didn't add the misc. charges, but I usually figure at least $2k (I overlook a lot of stuff)

So are you suggesting to run a carb intake with bungs for injectors and add a standalone ECU? Or have a carbureted whipple-charged 6.0? I was planning on running the factory PCM and harness and use hptune.

I have injectors on the list - they're 42 (or 43) lb. injectors he would sell me for $200, although he said they were at 80% duty cycle on the 6.0 at 6.5psi. I have a couple of sets of electric fans in the garage, and it already has a modified radiator, but I was thinking about throwing a griffin in there, so I should probably add another $220 to that. I thought about the gauges, but didn't add them on the list because I'll be changing them regardless if I installed the LQ4 or not.

I was referring to the LS7 clutch/fly, but I thought they were more than $400.

Alright, update on the price list. I can pick up loaded L92 heads for $910. As for the engine - I can get the complete pullout with the harness (not sure about the PCM) and a lifetime warranty for $2200, or a 6-month warranty for $1500. They can also get me a t-56 with the lifetime warranty for $2450, or a 6-month warranty for $1680. The lifetime warranty really sounds tempting, but I don't know about their guidelines for the warranty. For instance, I don't know if they will honor the warranty if the engine is not in its original application. I've also had "lifetime warranties" expire on me - I was going through remanned T-5 slave cylinders from O'Reilly's like crazy on my t-56 a couple years back, and after the 5th one they told me "If this one breaks, we're just going to refund your money and that's it." I ended up buying an OEM unit from GM and keeping the remanned as a spare, but anyways, I still want to investigate a bit more on the warranty guidelines.

I have the prices I paid for the LS7 clutch set up, but Excel isn't working right now due to a computer crash. IIRC the clutch and pressure plate are under $300, and the matching flywheel, which you will need anyway, is under $200. I want to say somewhere near $450 for all three, plus a new pilot bearing.

$2450 will buy you a brand new, after market T56. Look here. The new ones don't break down like the old one inevitably do. D&D's upgraded trans offers mechanical speedo drives. Figure T56 rebuilds start at something like $1500

And on the intake, what I have seen a number of people on LS1tech.com do is put injectors into the carb intake an add a 90º top hat. The single plenum intake reportedly flows better with large displacement engines.

Pop - Thanks for the link on the t56 - I may go that route if the lifetime warranty won't be honored. It looks like the hat plus the manifold will run at least $600 - I may wait to install that. With heads/cam/7psi, I'm thinking I should still hit at least 600whp with the lsx manifold. But, I was looking at both victor jr manifolds:

EFI manifold with bungs:

edl-29085_w.jpg

Carb:

0409phr_gmpp_08_z.jpg

From what I can tell, the carb manifold looks like it has shorter (and maybe larger?) runners - but I can't really tell. They look to be the same for the most part. It's nice that the carb manifold already has the provisions for the injectors - they just need to be machined.

Mike - I have a couple of pairs of electric fans in the garage, but if they don't pull enough cfm, I could pick up another taurus fan for $25-40. I wasn't sure if the factory fuel rails would include the fpr. If they don't, add another $140 for an Aeromotive BRFPR.

Well, GreenLeaf doesn't warranty their engines if they're installed in a different application, sooo, I'll probably pick up an LQ4 from a different junkyard, but I'll grab a T56 from D&D since it seems like a good deal. I think I'm going to give this project a green light, but I have to sell a couple of Zs first. More questions to come in the future...

If this is a 2.3L Whipple, it is a roots style blower. Therefore you will not need a single plane intake or elbow. Whipple only makes roots style blowers that mount straight to the heads with integrated intake. Also, it will not fit L92 heads. I have only seen Whipple blowers for the cathedral port LSX heads. Just my .02

If this is a 2.3L Whipple, it is a roots style blower. Therefore you will not need a single plane intake or elbow. Whipple only makes roots style blowers that mount straight to the heads with integrated intake. Also, it will not fit L92 heads. I have only seen Whipple blowers for the cathedral port LSX heads. Just my .02

Crap...I wonder if I can have the heads machined to accept the blower. As well as those heads flow, I'd hate to sacrifice them. Maybe I can have the factory 6.0 heads ported, larger valves, etc. I'll look into that...

I also e-mailed Whipple along with a couple of local LSx performance companies about this dilemma...hopefully I can get something promising.

The L92 intake runners are much larger than the cathedral port intake runners. There is no way it can be made to work like that. You may want to ask whipple if they make a bottom intake that you can purchase from them that is made for the L92 heads. If not I would get some ported cathedral port heads and run the thing. With the right setup, that could be a bad ride. The torque that roots style blowers make is unbelievable right off of idle. You get instant boost. I would not get rid of that blower.

If not I would get some ported cathedral port heads and run the thing. With the right setup, that could be a bad ride. The torque that roots style blowers make is unbelievable right off of idle. You get instant boost. I would not get rid of that blower.

Is ls1tech the best source of information for LS performance? I've been searching for information on heads and boost lately without too much luck - maybe I'm not using the correct keywords? And about the roots blowers' torque, hah, I've driven stock and modified '03/'04 Cobras that have come through the shop before - that's what gave me the taste of blood for the whipple.

i can get you a completle LQ4 for $900-1200. i have a short block that i would sell for $500 since that is pretty much all you are going to use anyways. pm me.

Pm sent

I've been talking with a rep from Whipple about using it with the L92 heads, and he's told me:

"We are working on a new kit that will be intercooled and come with a new intake manifold. We will offer it for the standard cathedral port heads and the new L92 heads. We are about 4 months out on this at this time. This new kit will be your best option as it will be intercooled and you can alter the boost easier."

But, I'm worried that their 4 months translates into 4 years or something like that? Decisions, decisions...

LS1tech is the best source of information in my opinion. You may want to check the corvette forums since alot of those guys are able to run roots style blowers. There are several guys on LS1tech pushing 800/800 at the wheels with whipples. Go under forced induction and use the key words whipple or magnacharger. Should get several hits. The wait on the L92 intake may take awhile and it may also cost more than it is worth. I wouldn't shy away from cathedral port heads. You could probably get some trickflow heads cheaper than you could get L92 heads and intake. Plus, trickflows out perform L92's unless they are extensively ported. Sorry so long. Just my thoughts. This is the setup I have been dreaming of.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know - a lot of people are telling me that Whipple won't push enough cfm for me to get the power I'm looking for. I might still try it, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a kenne bell. Hell, if what LS1 240Z says is true, I may just run a head/cam combo. I can't find any concrete information on a 600rwhp head/cam build, though.