HybridZ

simple improvement help a great deal

grumpyvette

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47304

47304.gif

Ive got 4 engine stands in the shop,as some may remember I replaced the crappy steel wheels last month wwith 8" casters

similar to these

41563.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41563

I HAD TO MOVE A FEW ENGINES AROUND TODAY IN THE SHOP, I can,t begin to tell you guys how much I was pleased with those engine stands Id recently installed the 8" swivel casters on! Ive managed to convert all but one at this point to the 8" swivel caseters from the 2.5" metal rollers that were previously installed from the original manufacturer, and the differance in ease of movement is truely amazing!:thumbsup: If youve ever tried to move a BBC or HEMI on a standard engine stand you know that at 600-800lbs they don,t move easily, and the factory engine stands only have casters on one end and single dirrectional rollers on the other end making them a P.I.T.A. to move in some situations.

I should have done that simply mod YEARS AGO:laughing:

the old small casters on those HF engine stands simply unbolt, I used (2) 7/16" thread 3" square U-bolts to lock each of the NEW LARGER swivel casters into place then WELDED the flange to the engine stand TOO,and left the (2) 7/16" thread 3" square U-bolts in place

REMEMBER I may be UNDER that engine at some point and its best to be really sure the casters can,t come loose

btw youll need to drill out the mount holes just a bit to use the (2) 7/16" thread 3" square U-bolts because the holes are neither totally round or big enought and they are off set about 1/16" in un-touched form

the two outer leg casters mount about 1/4" in from the ends the two rear casters were mounted to have the u-bolts stradle and place the flange dirrectly under the junction of the main legs, the diagonal braces and the rear cross brace on both sides, then welded

What do you use for wheel locks?

the large swivel casters come in two versions, LOCKABLE SWIVEL and free swivel, if you want temp locks they are available, I don,t see them on thier web site but they are in the next bin at the stores in my area, and cost only $4 more