HybridZ

RB30 Blocks - What are you guys paying?

Guest [200]

Hey,

Just a quick question...

For those that have purchased RB30 blocks, how much did you pay for them? I am talking about short blocks here.. so minus the head and transmission...

I am just curious to know...

PM me if you like

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anywhere from 500 - 1000 or more.

they WILL get sold. bottom line. it might take time so the sellers usually don't bottom out.

I just sold two, one for 500 and one for 350, as a combo deal due to the condition of one of them, and the other taking space.

You're in Australia... you can find one for about 50 bucks.

;840077']50 bucks?

"tell him he's dreaming."

:P

Thanks...

Aren't there any junkers in new south wales that you could get the engine from?

My source just sent 6 of them over on the last crate. And he told me how much he paid. And I had a buddy in Australia willing to ship a single engine which he picked up for 100 bucks, but the shipping for a single engine would have been stupid expensive.

Go around and see what you find. Just don't act surprised when you hear how cheap they sell for.

Aren't there any junkers in new south wales that you could get the engine from?

My source just sent 6 of them over on the last crate. And he told me how much he paid. And I had a buddy in Australia willing to ship a single engine which he picked up for 100 bucks, but the shipping for a single engine would have been stupid expensive.

Go around and see what you find. Just don't act surprised when you hear how cheap they sell for.

Yes I know. Some people accept beer as payment.

I was more interested in what people were paying over there as I am doing some research to see if it is worth me sending some over for someone that might want them...

Just need to work out on shipping costs more than anything else.

;840613']Yes I know. Some people accept beer as payment.

I was more interested in what people were paying over there as I am doing some research to see if it is worth me sending some over for someone that might want them...

Just need to work out on shipping costs more than anything else.

Here is a breakdown of what I paid in 2004. The exchange rate was more in my favor at the time.

Series II non-turbo short block off ebay

(block, crank, rods, pistons, rear seal, and beat up oil pump) $305.00AU

Shipping and handling from Australia $304.00AU

Total $609.00AU or $439.20 US Dollars

The block was picked up from the sellers door and loaded into a container consigned by Brennan International

Brennan International Shipping Company charges into Port of San Diego

Documentation $50.00

Terminal Handling Charge $45.00

Chassis Fee (No idea what that was) $2.00

Port Security Fee $25.00

Customs Exam $19.55

Total to Brennan $141.55

St. George Warehouse of Oakland

Forklift $35.00

Customs Entry Fee $50.00

Documentation Fees $5.00

Handling In/Out-General $35.00

Total to St. George $125.00

Now on top of all the above, I drove from Sacramento to Oaklnd to pick it up. That was a 200 mile round trip. So figure about $25.00 for gas. The St. George customs entry fee was for filling out a single piece of paper that needed U.S. Customs clearance signatures. I had to drive a few miles to the customs office to get it signed. No big deal.

As you can see, it ended up costing me around $730.75.

All the above should give a good idea of what is involved. Shipping heavy items can be troublesome. RB30 motors may be cheap and plentiful in Australia but remember someone has to go through a lot of time and effort to ship it. The same holds true when shipping from Japan. I can see additional charges for a translation service already.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

• 2 weeks later...

The engines, complete with car (Commodore, or Skyline) can regularly be found abandoned, awaiting local council pickup,It's been over 20 years since they were a production item,and the cars they were in don't look like ever being collectors items.(It was the best engine ever fitted to the Commodore , when it was discontinued ,GM Australia went backwards to a Buick V6)

At todays exchange rate 1 USD = 1.13728 Australian Dollars (AUD)

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

$50USD = $56.86AUD

The U.S. Dollar is not doing so well these days.

This is probably an overinflated exchange rate, Oz dollar probably really worth 2 flat rocks,and if our new government displays the same financial genius that it displayed on previous times they were in power, one flat rock will be the rate in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...