HybridZ

Cutting Metal Around Gas Tank

SSflyer

I need to change out the fuel tank sending unit on my car, and need some advise on how to cut a hole in the floor over the tank without blowing myself up. The car has a plastic LS1 F-body tank, and the hatch area floor is 16ga mild steel. I'm worried about making any sparks anywhere near the fuel connections with a cutting wheel or a nibbler. Any ideas?

Guest TeamNissan

Circular hole saw bit? They give off a spark here or there but nothing compared to a cutting wheel, nice clean cut too. Thats what I would use, just be care full with clearances so the guide bit doesn't puncture something.

A nibbler shouldn't throw any sparks. Especially an air powered one.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the nibbler. Besides, your fuel connections don't leak, right?

But have to ask, if you want to change out the sending unit why would you cut a hole in the car instead of dropping the tank?

After dropping and re-installing my LS1 tank several times I think an access panel is unnecessary. Besides, making it large enough to allow good access to the pump/sending unit lock ring and provide enough clearance to maneuver the unit through means a relatively large hole.

In other words, just drop the tank and forget the idea of an access panel.

Wheelman

To each his own. But I dropped that tank about 10 times during fabrication and that was with no fuel, no fuel lines, no exhaust and without the filler neck installed. I think it would be a PITA to remove if there is an alternative, at least in my car. I decided early on to have an access panel. It is large but it bolts to a frame and has sound deadener/heat shield on it just like the rest of the floor. I can get the assembly out now in about 10 minutes using only a powered screwdriver. Of course making the access panel assures me I will never have to use it, LOL.

After dropping and re-installing my LS1 tank several times I think an access panel is unnecessary. Besides, making it large enough to allow good access to the pump/sending unit lock ring and provide enough clearance to maneuver the unit through means a relatively large hole.

In other words, just drop the tank and forget the idea of an access panel.

Wheelman

I can get the assembly out now in about 10 minutes using only a powered screwdriver. Of course making the access panel assures me I will never have to use it, LOL.

Exactly!!!!

How many times are you going to be futzing with the pump/sender unit once the tank is installed and everything is working?

It takes me about 15 minutes to drop the tank (even with fuel in it) and another 5 to pull the assembly. My exhaust is not in the way and I left a little extra length in the fuel lines and electrical connections. It's maybe another 20 minutes to re-install.

But you are correct: To each his own!!!

Wheelman

Yeah, looking back now I wish I had left some extra length in the fuel lines, or made the connections farther away from the tank. That's exactly the reason for my question. I installed the tank while the car was upside down, and made a real effort at tucking everything up tight. I'm afraid that there won't be room enough to get the fuel lines unplugged from the sender without dropping fuel lines, and probably the exhaust too. I even thought about making an access door in the hatch area, but I got lazy. After all, who ever needs to change a sender unit, eh? Now the Z has a bad sender, and so does my Camaro.