HybridZ

Preparing to buy a 1975 280z

TrumpetRhapsody

Should I buy it?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I buy it?

• Sure, you can handle it!
    • NO! What are you thinking??? Keep looking.

It seems to be a bit much for a non running car but good shells are also hard to come by so you will have to weigh that in your decision.

I don't think I would try and test the engine for compression where it sits. There's more to it than simply puuling the plugs screwing in the compression guage and spinning her over, when it's an engine that has sat for a long time.

You'll want to take your time, inject some oil into the cylinders through the plug holes, maybe even need to go as far as pouring some diesel fuel into the cylinders to loosen up the rings, not to mention that most likely in the cylinders that have sat there with open valves could be rusty on the cylinder walls, that may take out teh rings the first time you go to turn it over, there are ways to reduce that chance, but take some time to do it right without pulling the engine apart. Best would be to at least pull the head (so a couple gaskets are going to cost a couple bucks), inspect teh cylinders and if they can be cleaned as it sits, then you can turn the engine over to clean up the bores and continue on.

There will be a bunch of other issues that will come up that you hadn't thought of, like wiring, possible rodent damage, etc, that could cause problems.

I can empatize with you about the wanting to rebuild/repair the project car with your own hands, the only car I've even owned that didn't need that was the daily driver I currently have, a 1998 Malibu, and I've owned a number of vehicles.

The biggest thing will be to check over the sheel yourself for rust and rot, that's the hardest thing to repair IMO on any vehcile, other parts can be removed and replaced with doner/new parts much easier.

JSM: Saright, I just wanted to keep on topic of what's wrong with the car. What did you notice to make you change your mind (in italics)? I realize a full restore will cost WAY more than 2k, but I'm going to try to skimp a little and baby it till I can restore it fully. 2k is literally JUST to get it rust repaired, self painted, and driving. That doesn't take into account suspension, breaks, etc.

Evan: I've got a bigger budget than that, the 2k is merely what I'm shooting for to get it drivable.

Six: That's what I'm concerned about. I figured an engine that old needs to be lubed back up before cranking. Thanks for the confirm. One thing that does come to mind is that the PO said it "cranked freely". So that might mean he's taken out the plugs and checked into it a little. I dunno though, I'll have to ask Saturday. As far as "other stuff" that'll pop up, i've thought about that. I can allocate money as problems surface or stuff breaks, I'm just concerned with very expensive/time consuming problems that'll need more than a couple months to fix. I'll be checking over the basic systems before I purchase to make sure I don't get any surprises.

JSM: Oh I plan to do a full documentation, complete with times, prices, pics, and videos. I like to be thorough. Thanks!

If he has turned it over and it truely is free with no stuck rings, valves etc, then that's a good sign.

I also forgot about the brakes, which will need new pads, shoes and flex lines at the very least, quite possibly calipers and wheel cylinders as well, as the seals will likely be dried out. Remember those things that will pop up that are easily forgotten, yeah I forgot about brakes. :oops:

TR if the engine is bad (short block I've got an extra for CHEAP!) if the car is clean (no major rust) get the damn thing, we'll work out the details, I've got a parts contact galore and I just GAVE him a 280 short block that he'll give back to me not problem at all, I'll get it for you if you need it.

Edit: Thanks dsommer, always appreciated.

Progress has come to a stand still. Just got an email, HE CAN'T FIND THE TITLE. I sure am glad I already rented a tow dolly, decided not to move back to college early, and told a shop there to do some machine work on a part for me. :cuss::mad::banghead:

This is one of the few times you'll see an angry post from me. Just click away till I come back with better news.

Alright well I've slept, canceled everything, talked to the guy, and I'm not AS pissed, lol. He apologized profusely and said he'd let me know as soon as he found it, or file for a lost title. Hopefully we can work it out to go look at/grab it two weekends from now.

So I suppose let the discussion continue. :redface:

The car has been sitting outside, over grass. I would definitely be worried about floor pan and frame rail rust. Remember when you pull up the carpeting to check out the top of the rail, there is usually a factory sound deadener (on 240z's it is a tar mat) that is painted.

Edit: I just read the last comment about the lost title. Things tend to work themselves out.

Floor pans and rails are definitely up there on the areas to check, thanks.

I talked to him about more stuff today when we were chatting about the title. Apparently he's only owned it since the summer. He said he found it somewhere back in the mountains (remote roads I presume). So at least that means it hasn't been sitting there like in the pics for long. He couldn't tell me much more about the condition of the engine, other than that he made sure it wasn't seized both with the plugs out and a ratchet on the crank, and by rocking it in 4th gear. His plan was to restore the stock engine, so he must've had faith in it. He also said now that we have a couple weeks that he might be able to do a compression test for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well I think this Z is out for me. My father was coming back from Kentucky today, so he stopped to get an up close look. Look at the pics. Needless to say, I don't think this one is going to happen.

OTHER UPDATE

I found a 1972 240z only 2 hours away that I think I'll actually be getting. I swear this time. It's rough, but for the price I think it's ok. I'll post another thread with pics to get an opinion.

P1230571_thumb.JPG

P1230572_thumb.JPG

P1230582_thumb.JPG

P1230586_thumb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...