HybridZ

Ultimate road/race S30?

Feeling a bit pissed off with the S130 project so some thoughts about what could have been done with the 260Z instead, FJ20ET engine, Torsen type LSD, etc. Body was too flexy so.....anyway....this is what maybe could have been done to it, after seam welding the body etc. Ignoring engine choices but say 3-350 WHP for a dual purpose road/circuit car

Keep strut suspension but drop it all down, look at keeping roll centers around stock, rear higher than front for sure. Look at using S13 front X member and struts, lots of after market support and superior stock geometry, different strut bar location points not a real problem.

Not sure what would be the best way to lower the rear outer LCA pivot point but thats mere detail.

Brakes? Plenty of options around now, choices has really improved in the last few years. Wheels? Big 17"? Although in the US you have a wide range of 15" tyres.

Anyway thats enough, all I'm saying is that choices and potential for the S30 have never been better. Take advantage of it and build an arse kicker :).

Sounds like a great project, that's mostly what I'm going to do with my Z. Currently, my car is stripped of paint, welded were possible, and has a rollcage installed. It's not built like a tank though - it's a good compromise between safety and weight (it's more on the safe side anyway).

I'm going to stiffen up the chassis with appropriate anti-roll bars (or sway bars), coilovers, polyurethane bushings and strut tower bars, and - hopefully - 5x114,3 conversion for both axles with a big brake kit, and a S14 diff conversion courtesy of Techno Toy Tuning. Well, that's the plan...

I suppose that it should make the car a great handler. I'm keen to spend more on the suspension and brakes than on the engine, just to ensure that I'll be able to swap almost any powerplant without making any further changes to the car. I have a decent L-series, so why change it? I'd LOVE to get a FJ20 (I almost bought a 50,000km / 31,000mile FJ20E, but somebody picked it up before me), but the availability and compactness of the SR20 is really tempting... My friends are experimenting with the SR20VE VVL heads now, and it looks like it could be a nice alternative to a factory DE/DET head. A stock DE is STOMPED by a stock VE - they have the same bottom ends (except a VE has a higher volume oil pump), and the VE head bumps the CR by 0,3, but still the stock-to-stock difference is 50HP!!

We'll see what happens next...

Ultimate?

Complete tube frame chassis, mounting tabs for carbon fiber 240Z body, rocker or pull/push rod suspension at all four corners, flat bottom, front splitter with diffusers, rear diffuser, multi-element rear wing, lightweight four cylinder turbocharged engine making 500 to 600hp, 6 speed sequential transmission, Michelin SX 27/68-R18 and 30/68-r18 slicks on 10.5" and 13" wide 18" BBS wheels.

That would be close to the ulitmate, at least for me... :-)

John's suggestion sounds pretty ultimate to me. I'd use more displacement to get the 500 hp though and get more torque down low.

On a more realistic note, MONZTER's project would also qualify as fairly ultimate. Can't forget Terry's car. Within my meager means and skillset, I am building my own ultimate chassis, although it's looking like it will be going together with the L28, at least for a while.

Terry raised his rear roll center by extending the rear strut under the axle, that is one of your items on your list. I'm convinced that a 2200 lb Z doesn't need 13" brakes, and the smallest brakes you can use that consistently get the job done are the best choice, since you can save a lot of rotating mass. Lower is better from a cg and aero perspective, so the smaller diameter wheels would be superior as well.

Yeh I guess 'ultimate' is a relative concept, was thinking of a 300-350 whp project that your average modder could do within some sort of budget without going over the top. Something nicely balanced that would be fun to drive yet quick enough all round to do good circuit times.

Agree with you about the brakes Jon, thats part of the balance thing.

On the S13 front end thing, vid of a S13 getting turn in like I could only dream about with the Zed, its a daily driver NA with slightly lowered stock suspension