HybridZ

Im scared for my tranny

MJLamberson

today I get in my car, start it, put it into Drive (auto) and push the gas pedal, my engine revs but that car remains stationary, again, again, again... I try reverse, revs but again the car does not move... put the car back in park, turn off the car, start it again, and all is well, I put it in drive and drive home. what do you guys make of this, is it need for concern? should I make plans for a 5 speed swap?

that almost sounds like what my Bronco II started doing before it went poof.

Sometimes out of nowhere, it would suddenly rev very high before going back into gear. eventually i lost 3rd gear, then shortly after 2nd gear, then finally i lost all gears. (and overdrive NEVER worked)

I'm not sure what caused my problem, but maybe that's what's happening to yours. If it's the same thing that happened to mine (not sure, but i think the bands went poof) then it might be time for a rebuild/swap

automatic transmissions usually have a plate on the bottom similar to an oil pan with a filter in it or something like that. Automatics need that filter for the same reason the engine needs a filter. to keep the fluids clean so it doesn't damage the transmission. Hopefully it's just something like ron's reffering too.

I hate to be negative but looking at your you tube vids would it surprise you if the tranny was going?

I was just thinking the same thing....

Well I dont do that everyday. but after what happend I think I will start to really baby it and in the mean time gather parts for a 5 speed.

and I will check the fluid asap, I dont know anything about that filter, how would I go about checking that?

Make sure the fluid does not smell "burnt".

If its like every other auto I have dealt with, you drop the pan and drain the fluid. The filter is right there, hard to miss.

IMO if your bothering to drop the pan to check it, replace the filter and fluid from the pan. Especially if it smells burnt or is dark in color. New tranny fluid is pink/red (not sure if you knew that).

Evan

Guest TeamNissan
LOL

Isn't that the point of all this?

How do you mean pop? lol I'm not downing beating on it, just saying when you beat on a stock auto tranny like that you have to expect problems no?