HybridZ

tire wear?

Guest Surf City ZX

Guest Surf City ZX

Hey all,

I'm fixing up a 1979 280zx. It's been sitting for awhile, but it has the tires that were left on it. The outside edge of both fronts are worn almost completely down (to the wire) while the inside is practically new... What part of the suspension do you think would be causing this? Is is control arms, etc? There are a couple of pretty worn out bushings down there.. I don't think it's the alignment, as it isn't toed in enough to wear that badly.

As this is on a budget (college student) I can't have it eating tires! Any advice on what bushing kits etc to put into it? Thanks!

-Austin

Guest Surf City ZX

Thanks for the replies. Do you think if I replaced the front suspension bushings (it needs a few as I can see at least 2 that are pretty worn/cracked) it would help? Do you know who sells suspension bushing kits? So, besides adjustable camber plates, what's my best bet? If that's it, I suppose I could start saving... how much for those, you think? (adjustable camber plates)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. Do you think if I replaced the front suspension bushings (it needs a few as I can see at least 2 that are pretty worn/cracked) it would help? Do you know who sells suspension bushing kits? So, besides adjustable camber plates, what's my best bet? If that's it, I suppose I could start saving... how much for those, you think? (adjustable camber plates)

Thanks again!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Datsun-510-280zx-CAMBER-PLATES_W0QQitemZ200189728843QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33581QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unless the car has been modified I'd say it's safe to bet something is wrong with that much abnormal tire wear. I'd look into what it could be first, and finding the PROBLEM, before thinking about going with an aftermarket part.

To me that seems like saying "hmm, my injectors aren't firing, guess I'll install megasquirt".

I'm not trying to be rude, sorry if it seems like that. I just know that a 280ZX in good condition shouldn't have abnormal tire wear.

Guest Surf City ZX

oh, when I look at it I can see where you guys are getting that impression... sorry, my intent was to find out *which* bushings could be causing the problem, as some are harder to get to than others.. The thing is I don't know which one controls (or could mess up) the camber.

Okay, so, for a few questions:

Do you guys think that replacing the front suspension bushings would fix it?

-Which ones, or all?

Should I go with stock rubber replacements?

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

Gollum: As it sits, the car doesn't run, and it's in pretty neglected condition from the previous owner, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks though, you make a good point.

Fix it first, then you can think about upgrading! :mrgreen:

There's also another possability I just thought of...

...if the tire has been sitting a long time it's possible that it's surroundings have taken their toll on the rubber.

Are you sure the inside isn't just as eaten up? If a car is sitting in dirt the first thing to show wear from the soil is the edges of the tire. I know this from experience. :D

Guest Surf City ZX

Well, it sat in a driveway for about 7yrs... Sun, the occasional rain, definitely took their toll on the passenger side rear, it was so flat for so long it had a permanent crease in it. replaced with one that holds air.. so, maybe it got to the others as well, just not to the point of being flat, but enough to mess them up?

The backs (well, the one original from the PO) are alright (as far as wear). Although as far as being drivable... I'll get a pic of the tire wear if I can.

Do you guys know if anyone sells a front suspension kit, rather than having to hunt down each bushing on it's own?

Pop N Wood: I see your point, I'll just fix the obviously broken stuff and go from there. That'll keep me from buying stuff I might not need.

Common sense to the guys who've been around this stuff for awhile :mrgreen:

Thanks for the wisdom!

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/nis1.html

tada. Here's a quick refference list of what they have for ya

Front/Rear Control Arm Bushing sets

Front Strut Rod Bushing Set

Front/Rear Sway bar bushings

Front/Rear End Link Bushing Set

Differential Carrier Bushing Set

Tie Rod Boots

You can also get the same basic bushings from zcarparts in one package

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC06A/23-4100KX