HybridZ

Should I buy a 92 Eclipse GSX??

wheelman

My across the street neighbor bought an Eclipse GSX (I think 92 but for sure 1st gen) a few months ago and is now moving and wants to sell it to me for $500.00.

The body and interior are in very good shape but the engine is partially dis-assembled. Apparently the guy he bought it from had rebuilt the engine with the "help" of a friend. During final assembly the engine timing was messed up so on the initial startup attempt several valves were bent. The head was then removed to assess the level of damage. According the the guy who owns it now the turbo and exhaust manifold will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Anyway, If I buy the car I intend to use it as a daily driver and backup auto-x car in case I bend the Z again.

What do you guys think, should I buy it or not???

Wheelman

Depends on how much is wrong with the car. If shoddy work was done on more than just the engine, beware, but if the transmission et all is still good, I say get a block and do a rebuild. Lots of 4G63's out there for the having, kids seem to be wrecking those cars with abandon around here at least.

Depending on your local smog laws, you just might want to get a new exhaust header and turbo, once you get the engine up and running well. Those buggers can go!

Well I can tell you if it is not running you will have your hands full... My brother just bought a 95 FWD Talon and we were told that the timing belt just needed to be replaced and that was it. Needless to say its been a month $1200 dollars later and the car is still not running.

For that price I would personally do it especially for the AWD model. Just be prepared to spend a lot of money and time. Most DSM guys spend more time working on the cars then actually driving them.

Turbo, AWD ... My dad always told me that more there are parts more of them can/will break. That said, If you are ready to live with a sports car, why not buy it. 1400 Japanese engine, I am sure there are a lot of those in scrapyard...Blah Blah Blah, should be a fun car and not too expensive.

I believe Mobythevan on Hybridz has one, search!

Dayz