HybridZ

Any Experiance with homemade Jet engine.

savageskaterkid

I've been kicking around the idea of building one of these, should be fun. I'm wondering if anybody on here has any experiance or do's and don'ts of building one. Like what kind of turbo to get(junkyard of course, can't justify getting a nice one for a project like this, but can't get a nice one for my Z), or howto make the combustion chamber. Theres a few designs on the net, but I want to know what you guys have found to work best.

my dad attempted to make one, just as a fun experimental project. from what hes told me, all it did was burn gas, make noise and shoot flames. i just asked him, and he said it probably would propel something but he didnt want to push it that far.

probably wont help you much, but thats all i got.

its still together on a cart in my grandmas barn though, so i guess if you want pictures of it, i could get some.

Search you tube for "Home made jet turbine" and similar for some videos.

I have watched most of these videos already, there pretty cool.

VW_Rear_Dr_Open1_PScopy.jpg

This thing is pretty cool, I remember reading about it. Since its a secondary engine, it still passes emissions and can be daily driven. A cop pulled the guy over and after radioing the sergeant, there was nothing they could be charged with, so they were forced to let him go. Pretty funny.

• Administrators

I’ve done a fair amount of research into such a project on and off for around 10 years now in an effort to build one just for the sake of making that really cool turbine noise! (During Aviation maintenance school spent some time covering the theory and principles of Turbine engines, disassembled a full scale axial flow turbine and ran it after reassembly, way friggin cool!... That is where most of these pics came from.) I’ll post up some of my research info here for you guys that are serious about building one. I was going to use a HUGE by LARGE Turbo, (currently for sale), for my project, but now would just prefer a much smaller Turbo such as a T04 size, (smaller means less fuel/longer run times and will spin more RPM, and the sound is the only reason I want one, no plans to power anything, just make high pitch turbine noises in the shop… cool.gif )

The site listed above is great source of info. Another good resource for info is NYE Thermo dynamics. This guy has built many a DIY Turbine, played with afterburners in the quest for more thrust, even Turbo charged his wood stove, running at 12 PSI boost!!! Great picture of it running on his page..

Click ME for the Nye Turbine page...

One of NYE’s basic DIY Afterburner turbines in action…

nt5_ab003_980124.jpg

Designing the burner can and testing it is where the time and engineering is. The ability to coral/channel the flame within the burner can and using the air from the compressor to keep the flame from coming in contact with inner liner so it doesn’t burn up, getting all those air holes the proper size so when the fuel is introduced, it isn’t too lean or too rich, (remember, there is no throttle like a gasoline engine, these are like diesels in that you control fuel flow only for more RPM/thrust). Only a small portion of the air is used for combustion, most of the air going through the Turbine is for cooling and flame containment. Not only do the holes in the inner liner have to positioned to coral the flame, but not be too many or too few in an effort to maintain a burnable air fuel ratio within the burner can. The design must also allow for differing fuel flows while maintaining the correct amount of air to feed the flame, without being too much or too little. Results are Flame out, burner cans melts, excess Turbine inlet Temps, (T.i.T. for short, not to be confused with your wifes dirty pillows oink.gif ), can get too high which would melt the turbine section of the turbo.

Fueling. The easiest and quickest way to fuel a DIY Turbine is Propane. Propane in a bottle is contained and is also where its pressurized. Just add the regulator, flow valve of sorts and fuel line to the fuel nozzle. Propane burns clean and is readily available. For those also wanting that smell of the flight line at Beale Air Force base, Kerosene, JET-A or B is where it’s at. You’ll need a container, (should be easy), and a pump and a means of controlling fuel flow. An old Z car EFI pup should be adequate. Diesel can also be used with the same result as Kerosene and Jet fuel though the smell of diesel is not quite as intoxicating, (those that have been around running turbines know what I’m talking about…) Do NOT use gasoline! The inherent dangers of using gasoline in project like this are are to risky for hobbyist, even genius hobbyist to consider. Just don't do it. You will blow yourself up! You've been warned! bash.gif

Here are some pics which should help get you started…

Burner can of an early axial flow Turbine. Note the inner liner and the holes/louvers, spacing/sizing, etc. Injector nozzle in the center, has dedicated air holes surrounding the nozzle. This burner/combustion can is approx 24” in Length. CutawaycanMedium.jpg

The entrance to a burner can. Injector hole in the middle.

Burnercan1.jpg

This is a Can-annular style combustor section as used on modern turbines. One continuous burner-can surrounding the turbine shaft vs the older individual can style turbines. Can annular combustor sections, as you can see, are far more complex in design… Note the injector nozzles and the swirl inducers surrounding the injector…

Cutawaycananular2.jpg

Here are a couple designs from others that have successfully built a DIY Turbine.

Chambers.gif

Combuster2.jpg

Combuster3b.gif

Combuster3.gif

Here is the inner liner of a DIY burner-can that was operational…

Combuster1b.gif

Combuster1a.gif

Here is another. Note the discoloration…

CombustorMikeE.jpg

Here is that same Burner prior/after a burner can test. A leaf lower is used to simulate the air flow the compressor section would produce, (this is no where by exact, but is better than nothing and will et you close enough…), and you can look right in the burner section itself to visually “see” if the flame contacts the liner at any point and verify the flame isn’t on the verge of blowing out, etc. Note the EGT sensor, duct taped PVC to the leaf blower, ignition source….

CombustorMikeE2.jpg

Another combustor test in process…

nt5_combtest02_961229.jpg

Test stand and overall design layout…

nt5_test_cell.gif

My gi-normous turbo, FOR SALE! (next to a stock L28ET turbo for scale)

Turb2Large.jpg

Turb1Medium.jpg

• Administrators
....How much you want for that turbo?

Turbo spins, shaft has just a little radial slop noticeable on the compressor side, (turbine side has no slop). I’ll take $100 if you want to pick it up, or $150 shipped within the lower 48 states. (This thing is HUGE and shipping alone could easily top $50)