HybridZ

Question for Orlando Members

BayAreaZT

I'll be in Orlando next week for an interview and if everything goes well I may be relocating there. Someone school me on what Orlando is like. What areas are good, what areas to avoid, etc. I've read a little bit about the area but I would like to here from people who actually live there.

How does living in Orlando compare to the Space Coast? Also is there anything worth checking out or eating while I'm there. I'll only be there for 1 night.

I live in Ocala which is about an hour north of Orlando. and yes it does get hot in Florida. I hope your interviewing for an indoor air conditioned job!

I'm not super familiar with Orlando but they have their fair share of crime. At least according to the morning news. It is centrally located and you can get to quite a few nice destinations fairly quickly.

I would think that it will be quite an adjustment moving from the bay area to Orlando.

Derek

I'm in SW Orlando a few miles North of Disney. Food wise I can't think of anything you wouldn't have in CA. I've been in this area for close to 30 years.

To me Orlando is pretty diverse. You always have your bad areas but people are pretty mixed together (race wise). I'm in a 300-500K neighborhood and we have a pretty good mix, in my opinion.

I4 traffic sucks. Stay away from it if you can.

Spacecoast is good, but not a lot to do. Much slower pace. You have kids? Wife?

Orlando has it's areas of hillbillyness. Some of these people are just useless. WHen you run across one you will see what I mean.

There are lots of nice areas. It all depends on how far you want to drive and where you work.

How long you in town for?

The southwest area of Orlando that JSM mentioned is a good area to live. I'm in the downtown / College Park area and it's good as well but you do need to be careful because the dividing line between good and bad in my area can be quite thin.

If I knew where you were staying then I could make some recommendations on where to eat. If you're close to downtown then I know some great places and would be more than happy to meet up with you. Let us know where you're staying and when you'll be here.