HybridZ

510 rear suspention swap

Just a thought ,and i have heard of it being done but have never seen it first hand. Swap in the limited slip straight axle from a first gen RX7 preferably the GSLSE which already has vented rotors and disk brakes. I think it is a tad longer,but you could compensate with off set wheels.

The RX7 is a 4 link setup, and the wagon is a leaf spring setup. Not that this is an insurmountable obstacle, but it's a bit involved.

The one thing I've noticed with the 510 wagons is that the floor pan is too low to allow for decent suspension travel, especially when the rear is lowered a lot. If I were doing up a 510 I'd find a sedan, but if you really wanted a wagon I'd cut out the floor and allow room for the axle to have a reasonable degree of bump travel, then I'd do circle track style sliders instead of rear shackles, then if you're putting down a whole bunch of power some generic traction bars.

I tried to convince my friends to do this on theirs, but no luck so far...

The RX7 is a 4 link setup, and the wagon is a leaf spring setup. Not that this is an insurmountable obstacle, but it's a bit involved.

A friend of mine created a bolt-in 4 link conversion for a 510 wagon. It was developed for high HP 2-door cars. The difference between the 4-link and the trailing arms is amazing.

Unfortunately this isn't offered for sale. It was on a yellow 510 with a turbo KA that was at Shasta a few years back. In case anyone saw it.

Cary

• Administrators

Unfortunately this isn't offered for sale. It was on a yellow 510 with a turbo KA that was at Shasta a few years back. In case anyone saw it.

Stunning car. Probably my favorite Dime...

KADime.jpg

KADimeB.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the only pic I have of the rear suspension...

KADimeC.jpg

Epperly was responsible for the 4 link, yes?

Epperly was responsible for the 4 link, yes?

Yes, Steve and Al. They have a jig at their shop and have done two or three wagons.

That car is by far the fastest 510 I've personally driven. Maybe even the fastest car I've ever driven. That includes Kipperman's Z and a few others. A real beast but not scary.

Cary