HybridZ

Bike engine ideas. Don't pay attention to me :P

Gollum

Ok, so I just had an idea. Granted this might NEVER ammount to anything, but just thought I'd throw out the idea to everyone and see what people think.

So we've all see multiple engines linked together like in certain race cars and in those huge tracker pullers. The idea isn't new at all.

I've often wondered if two VG30E engines would fit in a Z...

Anyways, what about the inline 4 bike engines? Some of those suckers can get well over 150hp naturally aspirated, and some well over 300 with force induction. They're also very compact and light. They're high reving too (pro and con, depending on who you are).

There's the H1 V8, which is wicked sick, and wicked expensive. But I was just thinking that an inline 8 might be massively glorious in a Z.

Guest da-man (is not!)

I have wanted to do a "twin" V-max motor. 1200cc's (x2) V4 (x2) easy 200hp potential... (x2) lot's of low-end grunt. and the best sounding bike motor I've ever owned.

Don't want to jack your thread, but what is the process in putting 2 engines together? It cannot be a simple welded crank ?

Dayz

It's just the simple process of either sending multiple engines power to one location via a multiple input differential, or hooking multiple engines up to a common drive line.

Surf speed channel in the middle of the day. Eventually you'll see a tractor pulling contest, and you'll see plenty of tractors with this concept. 4 or more huge Big block chevys with superchargers working together.

Another way that's been done before is to hook up an engine's flywheel to another engine's front crank pully, allowing the engines to effectively work together. Care must be taken on how it's done, but it's been done plenty of times before.

Btw... if anyone knows of a RWD hayabusa tranny conversion... feel free to chime in.

EDIT: For those that don't know. There was a similar topic in the past here, and yes i've seen it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124247&highlight=multiple+engines

• Administrators

Gollum,

Good topic. Even if it doesn’t materialize anything, these sort of discussions are fun…

I’ve also thought about 2 VG30E’s in passing thoughts as they are quite short and compact, some sort of simple external link between the two cranks such as toothed sprockets and couple row chain connecting the two. There is enough room in the S-30 engine bay for it, it would have lots of WOW factor and should run pretty good as well.

L-8… Hmmm… another interesting concept. XD.gif

I forgot about the other thread regarding multiple engines.

Ok, I was just doodling and realized something...

What on EARTH firing order would you use?! You have two flat plane cranks, so there's no reason to offset them, leave them together, firing two cylinders at once...

...but you're still left with FOUR options. I'll do a little MSPaint doodle to show.

Btw... if anyone knows of a RWD hayabusa tranny conversion... feel free to chime in.

The hayabusa tranny is integrated with the engine block (as most superbike motors are) so there is no transmission conversion to rear wheel drive.

what you are looking for is something like this:

QBA6R.gif

also, check out what super7 is doing for their gixxxxxer powered 7.

http://www.super7cars.com/Gallery/?album=Our_unique_drive_system_and_reverse

Looks like some good stuff. Thanks for the info.

The timing options I was talking about. Yes it's crude, but hopefully you'll all get it.

firingordersfb2.jpg

Note that this is JUST using OEM firing orders. This is the common 4 cyinder firing that I've seen almost all 4 cylinders use. I couldn't find the hayabusa firing order in a quick search, but I'm sure the info is out there. I'd imagine it'd be the same.

Sweet, I'm definately interested in that article. Even just finding out what engines they used would be nice.

Another thing I just thought of, that I'd never thought of before...

...What if you used viscous coupling to couple the engines together? That would provide a non solid coupling that would give you a bit of safety so you don't destroy the motors, and it would make sure you didn't have any strange harmonics created in the process. On the downside you might not make nearly the same power, and it'll sound like two four cylinders, no an inline 8, and they're resonate independantly, instead of together.

Lotus 7 replicas have been doing this for a while. Somewhere on locostusa.com there was a build thread on a 7 with two turbocharged yamaha R1 engines. Youtube it (I cant i'm still at work). Its wicked fast. Plus its amazingly fast shifting with this crazy cable clutch/shift lever in one thingie. Sounds ridiculous but it really is and I would love it.

if im not mistaken there is a company that takes the pistons and heads off of 2 hyabusa's and makesa v-8 out of them with a new crank and a new block and then puts the pistions and rods in and slaps on the heads... im almost positive i saw it at a show at bike week in daytona a few years back...

I think no matter if you used two bike engine, the Z rolling shelling is a bit too heavy. Not to mention the weight of the fabrication to get the second engine in and the addition weight of whatever your gonna use to transfer the power to the wheels. A smaller car and a single engine would be fine. I still want to do like a smaller rwd import and then a bigger bike engine like a R1 or a blackbird engine. Maybe like a TE27 rolla. I wouldn't mind keeping it fully carb'd cause then you'd only have to worry about mounting the engine in there and getting the driveshaft adjusted and just a little wiring. Then bump the fuel pressure down as usually carb bikes gravity feed from the tank. Damn I gotta find that site that sold that adapter. Oh don't forget you gotta figure out something for reverse. Most bike are flintstone powered when it comes to part. lol. I think one of the big differential companies make a unit that goes inline between the driveshaft. A bit pricey but atleast you can pull out of your driveway without pushing your sweet ride onto the street. The coolness factor kinda loses it's coolness factory from that. Hahahah. "Dude check out my new project. It's got a hayabusa engine in it and it tears a5s. Help me push it on the street so we can take it for a spin."

I used to live in Indianapolis and spent most of the month of may at the track. One year I was parking in the drivers parking lot next to gasoline alley, and parked next to a couple year old Gurney Eagle Indy car. I got out and was looking at the car and noticed it had license plates on it. I was looking at how they had made this street legal when a guy walked up and we started talking. He was with one of the teams and had built the thing for fun. We pulled the engine cover off, and he had a pair of Kawasaki H2 motors in it. These were the 2 stroke triple cylinder engines with a hair trigger power band. These engines coupled with a poor handleing bike were affectionately known as "kid killers" in the day.

He was running Goodyear rains on all 4 corners but indicated that extreme care had to be taken, particularly anywhere near the power band. When these engines hit the powerband it was about as subtle as a stick of dynamite going off.

Ive always wondered what happened to the car.