HybridZ

volt chg

• 3 weeks later...

Do not trust the voltage gauge in the car. I use mine for reference only. Mine also says around 16 volts when on the highway, but I know that I am only putting out 14.4 volts as measured by a DMM. I simply use the gauge to help me determine if something is wrong (pegged needled, gauge showing less than 16 at highway, etc.).

I was kinda wondering about that too. My guage is showing 16, which at a glance looks pegged, but probably isnt.

It actually shows around 13 when I first start the engine, then once I rev the engine past 3k the alternator kicks in at it reads up near 16V. I'm assuming this is because I have a 4 wire alt that can turn on/off. I'll check mine with a multimeter once I have it handy. Don't want to fry anything.

16 volts is not good for your battery... anything above 15.4(cant rember if it is .2 or .4) will damage your battery. That is why all cars have a voltage regulator.

A charge or battery light will come on when your battery will come on when there is a drop in AMPs being put out by the alternator. A volt meter wont really give you a whole lot of direct information.

Take your car to a local parts store, Advance Autoparts can test your alternator while it's still on your car for free. I'm not sure about O'Reilys, and Zone, but they should be able to as well.