HybridZ

help. ls1 wont start (and i want to burn it right now)

just got the pcm back. car starts and runs ok. Im having some issues wiring my fan relay though.

Im using a two speed fan out of a mazda. On the speartech harness there are four wires (2 secondary wires, 2 primary wires) that control the fans. The primary and secondary fan wires(or speeds in my case becuase im using one fan) go to a relay each connecting on terminals "85" and "86" but where do the rest of the wires go (coming our of the relay)? i saw the schematics and don't understand it. (i tried wording this problem the best i can).

i called the f*****s at speartech but they don't believe in picking up the phone or answering emails.

sorry guys, wiring is not my thing. any help is appreciated.

mario

i check the wires with a test light and they are all have 12v.

i ran the fan straight from a switch right now. (its on slow, then when i flip the switch its on high). but the car still ran very very hot. so i check the radiator fluid and its full. so i thought maybe its the thermostat. so i changed that. its still overheating.

the guy had who did the programming, said that i had sent him a truck pcm instead of a camaro one (i had been lied to by some guy on ebay), he said it would still work but i would need to take it to the gm dealer to get a "crank position relearn". im thinking this is why i have my overheating problem right now.

right now, im just not feeling happy about the z at all. everything that can go wrong, seems to.

oh and to make it worse my line lock failed and my z rolled down a hill into a metal gate......

this is just not my week....

Make sure all the air is out of the system. Did you put a valve in the return hose? You might even take the return off the radiator and pour coolant directly down it to the engine (when it is cool of course). Good luck,

Mike

i let it idle with the cap off the radiator. read thats how its done at ls1 tech. im pretty sure theres no air left in the system. i thought it was the thermostat because the return hose was cool to the touch but the inlet hose was hot.

mario

i check the wires with a test light and they are all have 12v.

i ran the fan straight from a switch right now. (its on slow, then when i flip the switch its on high). but the car still ran very very hot. so i check the radiator fluid and its full. so i thought maybe its the thermostat. so i changed that. its still overheating.

I don't know what LS1 or your truck computer normally uses for fans, one fan or two. But if the computer is expecting two fans you might have a problem running a two speed single fan. You shouldn't try to send voltage to both the high and low speed windings at the same time. You need to turn off the low speed output from the computer when the high speed kicks in. I added an additional relay to accomplish this. When the low speed computer output kicks in it sends low speed voltage to the fan's low speed winding through the relay's normally closed contact. When the high speed kicks in the computer sends voltage to the relay coil which will turn off the low speed voltage and send voltage to the high speed winding on the fan through the normally open contact. Here's the schematic I used with my LT1 using a Z28 computer and the complete under hood wiring harness including the stock relays:

taurus-fan-power.jpg

i let it idle with the cap off the radiator. read thats how its done at ls1 tech. im pretty sure theres no air left in the system. i thought it was the thermostat because the return hose was cool to the touch but the inlet hose was hot.

If that return hose is cool, you probably have air pockets Dump coolant down that hose, then try idling with the cap off.