HybridZ

VG30ET Z31 manual gearbox

260DET

The big Nissan turbo box, the FS5R30A, is virtually unobtainable in AU but the Z32 box is readily available. So I'm wondering if the Z32 box will bolt up to the single cam VG block. I know that the shifter is different but thats not a problem. If it does bolt up are there any other considerations?

Basically I'm looking at building a big power VG30ET but without a suitable gearbox its not a proposition.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, I would think they use the same bellhousing as well. Beyond them being the same family aren't the blocks identical? I could be wrong but I'm 95% sure they are.

Bell housing is the same though the starter placement of the Z32 5-speed is different (mounted on bell housing compared to mounted next to the block on the VG30ET).

The DE(TT) uses an 8 bolt flywheel while the E(T) uses a 6. You can however mate them together. You'll need:

89-91 Nissan Maxima 5-speed flywheel

84-86 300ZX Turbo or 85+ Maxima clutch

Z32 NA 5-speed (TT 5-speed can be modified to work (starter pad))

Z32 throw out bearing

Z32 starter

Lower Z32 engine to transmission brackets (if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure these can be used)

That will allow you to bolt the Z32 5-speed straight up to a VG30E(T) and will work perfectly. Was running that setup in a 91 M30 and am going to run it in a Z now.

The shifter setup is different if I remember correctly. The Z32 uses a bracket that holds the shifter and has a piece sticking out of the back for the shifter to connect to. It sits further back I believe but what's nice about the bracket is its easily modified to just about any length you need up to putting it right against the shift "rod" sticking out of the box.

Here's an aftermarket solid shifter bracket on the Z32 tranny (stock shifter placement though):

(Pictures are a bit big so if you have a slow connection it may take a bit)

http://www.machzracing.com/M30/Drivetrain/SSB2.jpg

http://www.machzracing.com/M30/Drivetrain/SSB3.jpg

Yeh thats good info, thanks.

Have a DETT flywheel, clutch and crank that I'd want to use, mainly because the flywheel is a custom steel job and the eight bolt setup would be more secure.

The next thing to look at would be crank snout fit I understand, might wait until a W series VG30E is found so it can be measured up at the front.

Ahh yeah, in that case the Z32 clutch and flywheel would definitely be the way to go.

I believe most take some material off of the snout and a little off of the timing belt gear and crank pulley at the same time. They are case hardened so you have to be careful as taking off to much material will heavily weaken the parts from what I've heard.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I have a DE in the garage that I was going to take apart to see how close it was to the E but just haven't done it yet.

I think I read somewhere that the VG33's crank snout is larger than the 30E so that could possibly be another option as far as matching things up.

Guest TeamNissan

I read the same about the vg33. The snout on the vg30i is longer then the vg30e as well. I can attest to that personally as I just did a vg30e swap on my d21 that was a vg30i.

Guest TeamNissan

I'm guessing non w as it was out of a 86 z31. I should have checked but I didn't learn of the change until after the fact. Motor sports auto states for the w series...

"The crankshaft front tip was lengthened by 18.7 mm (0.736) in. The crankshaft pulley width was increased by 13.6 mm (0.535 in.)."

If thats the case then the I is longer then the E but shorter then the W series E. I didn't realize how many changes there were in the 1st gen vgs, getting complicated lol.

I probably would have been better off going with the w series in hind site because that snout difference caused some timing cover/harmonic balancer clearance issues that I had to resolve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...