HybridZ

TR's 260z L28 Build Thread

Thanks to a neighbor and his welder, the crossmember is now welded up, the tranny is mounted in the car, and I took it for a drive tonight.

It's better than I could have dreamed. Shifting is so smooth, 5th is geared nice and low, the new throwout bearing is silk...

Only problem is that my speedo doesn't work again. I'll figure that out later though, I have a pretty good idea what the problem is.

IMG_2675_thumb.JPG

IMG_2678_thumb.JPG

IMG_2698_thumb.JPG

I started out trying to accomplish this mod with a spare linkage assembly I had laying around, but it didn't work out. The assembly was for a 240z, so was too long to fit on my 260z arm. Also, I think I moved the arm too much from the stock location, it just didn't seem to work right at that extreme of an angle.

So, while I had it apart noticed that the pedal wasn't using full travel to begin with, so I dremeled the end off one arm to make it shorter and now have full travel. On top of that I cleaned and lubed up all the ball joints (which were VERY sticky).

It's not perfect, there's still a little jerk at the onset of throttle, but it's MUCH better. It's actually drivable without focusing all my energy into the pedal. I think it'll be alot more enjoyable to drive now.

I think it'll be alot more enjoyable to drive now.

:lmao: I never did get rid of the "sticking" tendency my 75 (EFI) gas pedal had at the top.. what a PITA!! and this is NOTHING compared to the 240 pedal issue mentioned... I can imagine it IS a bit more enjoyable to drive!!

I played with the linkages a little more, adjusting lengths and such. It's gotten a little bit better, closer and closer to perfect, but it's still got a bit of a jerk. I think some cutting and welding, or full cable drive swap is in order.

I've started my Black Dragon power lock installation. So far I've gotten one actuator fully installed. I started to install the box and wiring, but realized I need to pull my doors off to drill holes for the wires to pass through. That means I need to source some sort of rubber boot to seal those holes. Decided to call it a day on that project.

In the process of starting wiring, i decided to pull out the pointless a/c evaporator. After I pulled it out I noticed that two of my relays were unplugged. Now my horn works, yay! I was crossing my fingers that the other was the fuel pump, but no beans. Man that is a mess of wires!

Last but not least, I have more head clearance now! For the past week my seat has been rocking back when I get in, and I noticed a bolt had come out of the front bracket. Well I get it apart, and the PO had put little wooden spacers in there for some reason. Taking those out, I've reclaimed a little headroom, and now I can see the tach and speedo through the smaller wheel, w00t!

IMG_2720_thumb.jpg

IMG_2718_thumb.jpg

IMG_2719_thumb.jpg

IMG_2721_thumb.jpg

IMG_2728_thumb.jpg

Weird, there must be a post on hybridz stating that raising the seats adds 5 hp because my seats are jacked up a couple inches as well!? :hs:

Glad to see you've made it to the finer details... I just scored a turbo 280zx today so I'm suddenly overwhelmed all over again :eek2:

• 4 weeks later...

W00000000!

Huge breakthrough. I got my dash lights working! The dumbass PO plugged two banana plug ends together that shouldn't have been. I was digging through under the dash and found it.

I also got the rear end sanded on a bit and most of the rusty areas sprayed with some grey can primer. Didn't feel like firing up the compressor gun just to have to clean it. The next weekend I'm out at the ranch i'll plan to put the whole car in black primer.

Got the new LED dash lights installed. They're not insanely brighter, but they are definitely brighter than stock, and with the green caps removed they are nice and pure white. Love em.

I bought 7 BA9s-W LED's from SuperBrightLEDs.com, which have specs of 180* viewing angle and 11200mcd. They plug right into the stock base, but the green caps MUST be removed. The LEDs are much longer than the stock light bulbs.

An interesting side effect is that once all incandescent bulbs were removed I was no longer able to dim the dash lights. They stay the same brightness through the rheostat range, so it's only on or off. If just one incandescent bulb is left in though, they'll dim like normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, some little updates:

I've ordered my spindle pins, ball joints, and tie rod ends, and I'm waiting for a GB for the RT diff mount to start up here in the next week or so. This means the LSD and remainder of poly bushings will be going in soon, which will be sooo nice.

I've also ordered everything I need to get Megasquirt II with EDIS going, so over the course of the next month or two I hope to get that installed and start tuning on it. Sometime in that period the addition of a stock 280zx turbo may also occur.

My stock fuel pump has been getting worse and worse (going lean on hills and lugging), so I broke down and spent $40 to replace it. I now have a solid 5psi all the time, and can run it through the gears without it lugging out, so that's nice.

I didn't drive the Z for a week or two, and when I went to drive it the brake pedal went to the floor. There was a dried puddle stain on the driveway under the rear drivers tire, so I think I may have a slow leak. I filled the rear reservoir back up and bled the system and it's fine now, but a rear disk conversion may need to be the next project. I can't afford to replace the stock brake shoe system.

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, xmas came early this year! Megasquirt will be nice... I already hate this dorky AFM thing adorning my engine bay. :roll: Feels much more crowded now with turbo/EFI stuff but the whistle is worth it... click sig link for motivation :twisted:

Get cracking already... we need to go turn 540 into the Wangan :D

Gah! All that stopped me from slapping on the stock turbo and mani was the oil feed/return plumbing, and a j-pipe. J-pipe probably wouldn't have worked too well on a sx tb anyway, but I can dream.

Maybe over xmas when I have more time I'll throw it on, but I just want to get it running for now. That is inspiring though, crap I want boost!

There are two or three S30 guys (at the moment, and a few more putting around we need to recruit) here in Fayetteville, and one we know of in Fort Smith, so we could have 4+ cruising on 540 soon! :icon54:

Speaking of Wangan :roll:, I forgot to add one of my new goodies:

IMG_28882_thumb.jpg

Oooh, xmas came early this year! Megasquirt will be nice... I already hate this dorky AFM thing adorning my engine bay. :roll: Feels much more crowded now with turbo/EFI stuff but the whistle is worth it... click sig link for motivation :twisted:

Get cracking already... we need to go turn 540 into the Wangan :D

Wangan 540?? every time I get on there its 65 behind jackasses who like to block everyone in who decides to go the actual speed limit. err.

Hows the diff coming

I don't get up to NWA often any more but last time I had no problem finding my top speed a couple times on 540... "floaty" is the word :D

MikeZCar is also in LR and is "almost done" with his turbo tom setup with a suck through carb and alcohol injection.:eek2:

It's starting to sound like we need to invite the Fast n Furious 4 crew to Arkansas to do some S30 action shots to go along with the S30 stills they already got in Cali :icon14: