HybridZ

Man...What a Weekend..This Is What Happens When You Get Boost Happy!

slownrusty

Well some of you guys know I have a pretty rare '88 Mazda 323 GT (one of 700 imported to the US), its my daily driver. Factory boost is 7psi and the car was 135hp stock.

Here is the car:

148714189.jpg

My greedy butt has been running 15psi for several years with a re-mapped ECU and a bunch of other mods, the car is probably 180-190hp as it sits now and weighs 2280lbs and it runs Grreat.... Well...a few weeks ago, I decided to do a high speed run, dropped the car to 4th and speed was building quickly but when I let off, something was not right. Got home that night at 3am did a compression and No.4 revealed 20spi :( and other cylinders were fine and consistant.

So I had to pay the piper. Pulled the head, and low and behold - what a pain in the a$$ that was, with AC, PS, Turbo plumbing, yadda yadda (the car is VERY tightly packaged):

303458987.jpg

Note all the exhaust valves. The head gasket was perfect mind you!

So I had my buddy rebuild the entire head and put in some new valves, new guides and voila:

303458994.jpg

I ARP studded the block while I was at it and cleaned, cleaned and cleaned everything, you could have open heart surgery in my engine bay now..! LOL

303458990.jpg

Head back on...15hours that took(!!) ..and my lower back feels like a decripid old man....

303458993.jpg

Car runs great again, had amazingly long legs for a small 1.6L. So what a weekend, I am so tired...VERY tired but happy that the car is back up and running. And yes I am going to turn the boost back down...LOL!

Had to share with you gearheads.

Yasin

why not megasquirt it and turn the psi back up??

I would but I do not want to put more money into the car. At 12psi which is what I have turned it down to its still pretty quick and fun.

it's only a 1.6L imo that's not too bad for a bone stock car with the boost raised.

Thank you for saying that, some people just "don't get it"!

I like this car a lot! Glad to hear its back up and running

Thanks Kenny! Me too!

Nice turnaround.

I thought you had a gtx for some reason.

Probaly only saw pics of the front. clean ride anyway. I wish my rx was that clean.

Sam

Thanks Sam. Not quite the GTX, close though! LOL

Regards - Yasin

So I had to pay the piper.

Don't we all......lol

Note all the exhaust valves. The head gasket was perfect mind you!

You are lucky that valve fragment didn't do any damage to your pistons!

Head back on...15hours that took(!!) ..and my lower back feels like a decripid old man....

Take it from another decripid old man, Advil helps......

Had to share with you gearheads.

Yasin

Thanks!

Cool car!

Did you find the exhaust valve chunk?

Mario

Funny you mention that, I looked all over the place for it, even took the turbo off to make sure it did not wrap into the veins...no where to be found, top of the pistons were perfect too...in talking with my engine builder he said that he would not be surprised if it deteriorated in granular sand sized pieces as opposed to a big chunch breaking off.

dude the fact that you have one of those is badass!!!

congrats on getting her back up in running order!

Many thanks!!!

Don't we all......lol

You are lucky that valve fragment didn't do any damage to your pistons!

Take it from another decripid old man, Advil helps......

Thanks!

Tell me about it! I was trying to stay away from Advil or Extra Strength Tylenol (my other best friend..LOL). Still in my 30s but felt like I was 80 after this weekend!

Yasin (the Decripid one!).