HybridZ

Autozone SU Rebuild Kit?

TrumpetRhapsody

I'm in the process of gathering everything I need to get my Z on the road.

The question here is whether autozone was just blowing smoke, or knew what they were talking about...

I told them that the carburetor I have is the round top E88, and is probably off of an early 240z. They said the rebuild kits stayed the same pretty much throughout the 70's, and ordered two "GP-Sorensen 96-293" ($18 each) kits for me. They should be here Wednesday.

The receipt says:

Carburetor #16010-N3603, 16010-N3633, 16010-N3634, 16010-N3635, 16010-N3653, 16010-N3654, 16010-N3655, 16010-N3663

I searched around and didn't see anybody talking about autozone rebuild kits, so I thought I'd start a thread. It'd be awesome if I could get some confirmation if this kit will work for me or not.

I always just tell them that I need a ______ for whatever make/model/year the part originally came off of, the guy must think I maintain a fleet of old trucks and camaro's.:-)(haven't really started buying parts for the Z yet)

My bet is that the carb kit you ordered contains parts for several different carbs, I know that I could rebuild several different model Holley carbs with the same part number kit.

Yeah that rebuild kit is for the late 240Z/260z SUs.

Autozone doesn't really have the best know-how on Z cars.

I bought some rear shoes for my stock drums and they were an inch too big. When I took them back they said that I probably had some smaller racing drum brakes!?!?!?!?! Yeah right.

They eventually gave me my money back though and I got the high performance shoes from MSA.

why not go with z therapy? it's $180 with a long ass video on carbs but if you send your old nozzles they refund $50. Also, since your engine is a l28, wouldn't the stock needles lack fuel at high rpm? Seems like most people go with SM needles for l28s.

I'd look more into just getting a rebuild kit if I were you.

To be honest these carbs are only sticking around long enough till I can afford megasquirt for my turbo build, at which point I'm switching over to turbo EFI manifolds. I thought these would be a quick fix in the short term, but it's kinda deviating from that idea.

I do have some ECU's laying around though... but I lack a EFI wiring harness and the relays so....

Yeah you're probably right, but I'm only going to be on carbs until the end of the summer or so. I'm trying to keep my initial costs down to get this sucker running.

That probably would be the thing to do though.

EDIT: After a close call of saying screw it and going stock EFI for awhile, I've decided to go ahead and buy the Z therapy kit and have fun with carbs for awhile... maybe even dip into some blow-through turbo action if I get ballsy.