HybridZ

LS1 Clutch recommendations

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The QM LS1 flywheel is ~$175. So if you pay (guessing) $250 for the clutch via ebay and $175 for the fly, why not just get a brand new QM setup for $475? I guess I'm glad I didn't win the auction on the Tilton setup because for just a bit more I'll have all new parts. Am I missing something?

EDIT--Just found the QM fly for $130, but still you can probably figure on $100 more for new stuff. To me that seems worth it. If we're comparing against the $800 Tilton setup, no, but against a $475 QM setup, I think new is a good deal.

http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm?key=QM%20725%20Pro%20Series%20Button%20Flywheels&form_prod_id=,88,_583&action=product

QM suggested their "race bearing", P/N 710-100 which retails for $242.48. They said it would need to be shimmed, and all the instructions are included, and it works with a 3/4" master.

After talking to QM I think I'm going with the 2 disk setup. He said I could go with the 3 and get less wear, but the 2 should be more than capable of holding down the power that I'm figuring on making.

Sure thing. Forgot to mention the ebay guy is selling me the bearing for $199. I had planned on about $1K for an aluminum flywheel and clutch, but I feel that especially for the intended use, this discussion has led me to a better clutch setup for about $400 less, so thank you again.

One last note, Tilton came back and said they don't have a hydraulic release bearing that would work.

Here's Tilton's quote:

We sort of have a HRB for the T56. We include a mount for one of our 800-Series HRB with our Corvette C5 and C6 clutch packages, but the height of it is specific to mounting in the Corvette's torque tube and the offset of our 168-tooth flywheel. It most likely would not be right for a traditional T56.

• 4 weeks later...

Got parts. The HRB has no mounting holes or anything. I kinda figured it would bolt to the trans or something. Anyway I'm not going to be into it for probably a month, got house projects in mid-stream and tonsillectomy/deviated septum surgery on Friday, but I did get the parts and they look good for anyone else considering the same...