HybridZ

Beware of cheap new holsets...

OlderThanMe

Make sure your Holset has the word Holset on the compressor housing and that it has a blue tag that has the word Holset on it and part numbers etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HX50-turbocharger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ002QQitemZ120222392430QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

*note the item location*

A few months ago I was looking at an importing website for turbo manifolds and saw chineese made "holset" turbos.

Now they are selling them on Ebay. BEWARE because these are not the real thing.

OTM

heck if its 207 dollars for 5 of them, you could quin-charge your car.

LOL sweet! And then a week later you'd have a quad charged car and then three weeks later you would have a triple charged car... Heh heh.

I've heard some crazy stories about how dramatic the nature in which Chinese Turbos fail.

China makes everything, quality does depend on the manufacturer, but also to a large extent on who's supplying the design of the product the company is manufacturing.

If the manufacturer is making these to the designer's "holset" specs, they they are probably pretty good.

If the manufacturer took a turbo apart and simply 'reverse engineered' it, then their tolerances could be no where near specs they should be and are seen as crappy.

China makes everything, quality does depend on the manufacturer, but also to a large extent on who's supplying the design of the product the company is manufacturing.

If the manufacturer is making these to the designer's "holset" specs, they they are probably pretty good.

If the manufacturer took a turbo apart and simply 'reverse engineered' it, then their tolerances could be no where near specs they should be and are seen as crappy.

Don't be so fooled. China regularly comes to the United States and other industrialized companies and buys equipment that is broken, beyond service life, leaking fluids everywhere, 'messed up' and anything else 20~40 year old equipment may be. Stuff that can't be used anymore. They come over and pay retarded money for something that should really only fetch 'raw material' pricing. They don't even bother to check the equipment out. Thats what a lot of Chinese companies use. They know their junk fails a lot. They simply don't care.

China regularly comes to the United States and other industrialized companies and buys equipment that is broken, beyond service life, leaking fluids everywhere, 'messed up' and anything else 20~40 year old equipment may be. Stuff that can't be used anymore.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. If you mean they buy cheap used up stuff to sell as new, I don't see it. If you mean they buy up stuff to base their products off of, OK... that's basically what I stated above.

In China, they manufacture (some) junk, they don't resell used up junk as new.

"THIS IS CUMMINS ENGINE, THE MODEL IS HX50, THE PART NO IS 3533557, THE QUALITY IS 12 MONTHS, THE SMALL ORDER IS 5 PCS."

What?!?

087f_1.JPG

Gee, olderthanme, how did you ever spot this? it's a good thing we have such a sharp eye to keep us away from these clever scammers... LOL

thanks for the post, i didn't know this crap was going on.

I believe some chinese company was selling 4bbl intake manifolds for SBC's on ebay. If I remember correctly, they were identical to a edelbrock manifold. I can see design of a turbo is a little more technical than a manifold but I believe alot of chinese companies buy other companies products and remake them, some just as good, some worse some better...

Gee, olderthanme, how did you ever spot this? it's a good thing we have such a sharp eye to keep us away from these clever scammers... LOL

thanks for the post, i didn't know this crap was going on.

Umm... I was looking for an Hx50/HX55 online and did a search for HX50 on Ebay. Came up with all chinese turbos.

If they're not afraid to cross the line into trademark infringement and sell counterfeit parts, I have serious doubts about their commitment to quality control too. Why should they be more ethical in manufacturing than in marketing?

If they're not afraid to cross the line into trademark infringement and sell counterfeit parts, I have serious doubts about their commitment to quality control too. Why should they be more ethical in manufacturing than in marketing?

There are lots of scenario's that could be going on.

Most probable is, the turbo manufacturer could be out sourcing components of the turbo, casting the housing or the impellers, the manufacturer then is supplying drawings and specs. The Chinese company probably decides to make their own, and tries to figure out the rest and you get less than desired results.

BTW, any manfacturer could be advertising "Made in USA" but could be procuring most or even all the components outside the U.S. and assembling the parts here. It's not really that straight forward but it's possible.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. If you mean they buy cheap used up stuff to sell as new, I don't see it. If you mean they buy up stuff to base their products off of, OK... that's basically what I stated above.

In China, they manufacture (some) junk, they don't resell used up junk as new.

My point is that much of their production capacity is afforded by equipment such as that. That is why they cannot hold tolerances as reliably, etc. I am not implying they try to sell the equipment. I am referring to the equipment they use in some of the factories to make products.