HybridZ

Smoking HOT SBC?!?!

This motor had been sitting for a long time. Will running the motor this way cause excessive wear? Any way to fix it with out rebuilding the motor?

The motor probably only has 5000 miles on it since it was last rebuild but that was the early 90's.

I also noticed when I changed the spark plugs that some of them had some crud on them.

You could do a compression check on all cyl. to see which one or all is the problem. If it has been sitting that long and if the rings are stock they might have lost the tension in the rings. Hey another thought is if it has lost tension, loose might not be bad. Less friction more HP.

I agree with DOC, if the engine was not built properly with the correct ring gap it will have excessive blow back. If it is a street engine then you can try pvc valve or some type of evac system to help you. If it is for race, I would run the hell out of it.

But yet agian it depends on what the compression test shows.

If it is rust spots in the cyl. It will wear down in time.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did a leak down test and its blowing a good number so we established that it is..........Bad valve seals. I've never replaced them or have the tools to do it. Is there anyone in Richmond VA that wants to help me with some experiance?!!? Beer is on me.

Bad valve seals won't cause the "smoke" out the VC breather you described. They might cause the cruddy plugs, deceleration smoke, and some oil consumption. A 5000 mile motor shouldn't have valve seal problems if the heads were rebuilt.

Make sure your pcv is working, try the seafoam, and change to a high detergent oil like Shell Rotella, then run it a while. I bet it gets better.

jt

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Invest in a can or two of the 'rebuild in a can' stuff and come back and tell us that it's like manna from heaven.

Now, that would liven up the thread...

Otherwise, best -- Gary