HybridZ

Tremec is in the mail!

Hey guys!

I am so excited, i just got a Tremec 3550!

I know Paraska runs one, does anyone else.

These things fit with just a little hammering on the trans tunnel?

I know a tko 500 stands up to 500 ft lbs, and a tko 600, to 600 ft lbs,

a 3550, is just a little weaker?

He says the numbers are

Tremec 3550 - TCET2057

Offset Shifter

26 Spline Input Shaft

31 Spline Output Shaft

But i cant find any info on that, from what i see it maybe a tko.

is a 3550 a type of tko? man this is a little confusing

What about the shifter in the most rear position, how does that work out?

this has a different from what ive seen location of the front of the rear location, see the pics...

10149_IMG_1634_122_831lo.JPG

I have a tkoII. Supposedly the tko's are stronger that the 3550's, although I don't know the details.

I didn't have to hammer the tunnel any in my 73. I did have to trim the hole for the shifter about 1/2" to accomodate a Pro 5.0 shifter. You will want the shifter in the rear position.

When you get it, pull off the shifter and make sure all the rods are in neutral before you put it in the car. If one of them is in gear, you pull the trans back out. No need to discuss how I know this.

Some folks have complained of the shift quality, but I have been very satisfied with mine, and would buy another.

Either Fortes or Hanlon has a lot of Tremec info on their site, you might want to check them out.

John

TR-3550:

http://ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TR-3550.asp

TKO:

http://ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

My understanding of the 3550 is that it was the predecessor to the TKO line. A bit weaker (350-475 lb/ft depending on the model)

I believe this is true too. They are known as the TKO/TKOII's in some instances, the TKO500/TKO600 are the updated versions that handle 500/600 ftlbs.

Jt1, what do people complain about shift quality, is it "notchy" or hard to get into gear, or what?

Jt1, see the picture man? its in the rear position, but positioned forward a little. I am okay with trimming the shifter hole a little. It involves more than just buyina a shifter to change the location, right?

Dsommer, i paid $700 + $95 for shipping. Its off a classified add on another forum. he was asking $1000, and i offered $700, i think its a hell of a deal.

It is brand new, and i see these go for around $1500 regularly.

a6t8vw- I am running a 302 chevy, and i estimate the power to be somewhere between 450-550 HP, that is a rough est. but i think it is very acheiveable. this tranny should work great

Jt1, what do people complain about shift quality, is it "notchy" or hard to get into gear, or what?

Jt1, see the picture man? its in the rear position, but positioned forward a little. I am okay with trimming the shifter hole a little. It involves more than just buyina a shifter to change the location, right?

The complaints I have heard were about the trans being notchy. i think using the right fluid helps a lot. You want Synchromesh fluid.

I don't see the pic, red X for me. The rearmost position works well with the stock opening if you are using JTR mounts, maybe a little trimming required. I think the 5.0 shifter is larger than the stock unit.

I did a good bit of research when I bought mine. The 3550 and the tko are identical externally, the higher torque rating comes from internal parts. The bolt pattern and input shaft can be ford or chevy. They all use the toploader output yoke. The chevy input shaft is fine spline, and uses a muncie bellhousing. I've been pleased with mine, it's lasted 4 years now in a road race car with no problems.

John

The complaints I have heard were about the trans being notchy. i think using the right fluid helps a lot. You want Synchromesh fluid.

I don't see the pic, red X for me. The rearmost position works well with the stock opening if you are using JTR mounts, maybe a little trimming required. I think the 5.0 shifter is larger than the stock unit.

I did a good bit of research when I bought mine. The 3550 and the tko are identical externally, the higher torque rating comes from internal parts. The bolt pattern and input shaft can be ford or chevy. They all use the toploader output yoke. The chevy input shaft is fine spline, and uses a muncie bellhousing. I've been pleased with mine, it's lasted 4 years now in a road race car with no problems.

John

try these pics should work. Thanks for the advice man. I am so pumped!!

I wonder if its the .69 or .82 overdrive...

now to buy a scattershield!

th_10152_IMG_1635_122_451lo.JPG

10152_IMG_1635_122_451lo.JPG

I see one pic now. That shifter is a good bit different than mine. I think I have some pics of mine on the computer at the office, I will post them tomorrow if I can find them.

I hope you got a 0.69. The 0.83 is pretty worthless except for a track only road race car. It only gives about a 500-600 rpm drop from 4th.

When you put it in, be sure to indicate the bellhousing to the crank. Tremecs are real sensitive to excessive runout, and that may be where some of the shifting complaints originate.

John

Here's a pic of mine when it was new:

Transphotos_006s.jpg

You can see the difference in the shifters. The gold colored ring on mine hit the stock shifter opening, and I trimmed the opening about 1/2" to give it some clearance. Yours appears to be further forward and you might have to trim more or use another shifter.

jt

Here's a pic of mine when it was new:

Transphotos_006s.jpg

You can see the difference in the shifters. The gold colored ring on mine hit the stock shifter opening, and I trimmed the opening about 1/2" to give it some clearance. Yours appears to be further forward and you might have to trim more or use another shifter.

jt

Rock on man, thanks for the pics. Will any shifter fit in any location? If i choose to move my shifter to your location i can use the same shifter, right? Is it as easy as just unboltin the plate and stickin the shifter in new location?

I am pumped man, this beats usin my other 4 speed for this.

I don't think the same shifter will fit different locations, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Is the shifter on your trans bolted down in the pic? It sorta looks like it may be just sitting there.. if so, you might have plenty of clearance with it bolted on.

jt

You must have one hell of a build to get a 302 chevy to 450+HP IMO.

Details?

Its an aggressive solid roller grind, and a Team G single plane intake with AFR eliminator heads. it will make 450HP easy, if you dont think so cool, i will video when i dyno the motor out of the car :)

280z383, Im up in lubbock, how about i swing down there for a ride one weekend ? ;)