HybridZ

R200 (short-nose) carriers, pinion gears interchangable?

9kredline

EDIT: I meant "short snout" for the R200

I know this isn't the right forum but it gets the majority of the foot traffic and I don't know if it's reaching the right individuals so please excuse the intrusion!

Im just wanting to know if the R200 VLSD gears from other models will work inside a Z32 NA R200 carrier?

I'm starting parts collection for a TDi swap and the stock 4.08 with the R154 supra 5-speed (with an R151 bellhousing and ACME adapter to mount it to the motor) will run about 1k RPM higher than I'd really like it to at 75MPH.

I saw that the Q45 has a 3.545 and the auto 350Z has a 3.36, which would both work, but will they mate up correctly or do I have any other options? I don't want to swap subframes with the TT model just to have to eliminate HICAS and add all the extra weight.

I've purchased the R151 Toyota bellhousing that will mate an R154 to a 22RE which means it will mate to the ACME adapter for a 1.9TDi.

The gearing is just a little too high as is and I would like to rectify it since this swap is going for an economical GT cruiser. All help is appreciated.

gear sets (ring and pinion) should be interchangeable between all short nosed R200 carriers,

changing carriers(+ gears) is not always as option due to the different half shafts....the VLSD has one side that is much longer than the other side and wont work on a non-VLSD carrier

just check that the ring gear bolt holes are the same size,i know that the earlier ones(for long nose R200) were 10mm and the later 12mm

gear sets (ring and pinion) should be interchangeable between all short nosed R200 carriers,

changing carriers(+ gears) is not always as option due to the different half shafts....the VLSD has one side that is much longer than the other side and wont work on a non-VLSD carrier

just check that the ring gear bolt holes are the same size,i know that the earlier ones(for long nose R200) were 10mm and the later 12mm

I think you have your terminology mistaken. Either that or I am most likely reading it wrong. Most of your info is good just worded wrong I think. The carrier is the part that actually holds splines and the viscous coupling or the clutch packs. The case is the part that effects the pinion. You cant use a long nose pinion in a short r200 case. You CAN swap out all R200 carriers into another R200 case. I have a Q45 carrier from the short nose case in my long nose case from my z31. Everything fits just fine.

You are also correct on the size of the bolts for the older and newer carriers. 10mm vs. 12mm.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

Maybe this is what you meant to say, I just didn't understand it fully.

you are correct.....you have read it wrong

1- gear sets are interchangeable only like to like eg short nose r200 to short nose r200 and likewise for long nose casings

2- carriers are physically interchangeable between all r200's(you CAN put a carrier out of a short nose r200 into a long nose version) but you CANNOT interchange the gears.

3- if you use a VLSD short nose carrier in a short nose r200,you MUST use the accompanying halfshafts that came with the VLSD......that is not to say you cannot bolt it into your long nose houing and slip in your 260Z halfshafts---it DOES mean you will not have LSD as one of the splined axles will be too short to engage fully

1- gear sets are interchangeable only like to like eg short nose r200 to short nose r200 and likewise for long nose casings

2- carriers are physically interchangeable between all r200's(you CAN put a carrier out of a short nose r200 into a long nose version) but you CANNOT interchange the gears.

3- if you use a VLSD short nose carrier in a short nose r200,you MUST use the accompanying halfshafts that came with the VLSD......that is not to say you cannot bolt it into your long nose houing and slip in your 260Z halfshafts---it DOES mean you will not have LSD as one of the splined axles will be too short to engage fully

Ok, then we are on the same page. I just read it wrong. My apologies sir.

Also, for those entertaining the Q45 VLSD from 90-96, you CANNOT plug in your 260z half shafts or any other input shafts except those out of the 90-96 Q45 or the 300zx twin turbo ONLY, as the are both the larger 30 spline input shafts..

• 4 weeks later...

Just to clarify going the other way for my 280Z. If I took a Z32 short nose LSD carrier and installed it in a 280Z long nose R-200 housing I need to use the Z32 half shafts as well. But I can not exchange the gear set. So if I want to have a LSD 3.54 I need the Z32 to have a 3.54. And then of couse get adapters for it all from MM.

• Administrators

Only the Q-45 came with 3.54 ratio short R-200 and larger beefier output shafts, (same as the Z-32TT R-230 output shafts). The N/A Z-32 came with 4.09 ratio short R-200 and weaker output shafts.

Well at least that narrows the search.

Only the Q-45 came with 3.54 ratio short R-200 and larger beefier output shafts, (same as the Z-32TT R-230 output shafts). The N/A Z-32 came with 4.09 ratio short R-200 and weaker output shafts.

Just to clarify going the other way for my 280Z. If I took a Z32 short nose LSD carrier and installed it in a 280Z long nose R-200 housing I need to use the Z32 half shafts as well. But I can not exchange the gear set. So if I want to have a LSD 3.54 I need the Z32 to have a 3.54. And then of couse get adapters for it all from MM.

I don't believe that your r200 from the 280z would work because the 10mm ring bolts...you need a newer r200 with 12mm ring bolts (87-89 z's or m30's) and you will also have to swap the pinion yoke and make custom cv's to mate to the axles. I used the J30 vlsd short nose/ m30 long nose r200.