HybridZ

Duh! Fake Ferarri?

cygnusx1

the thing is all the owners that bought one of these knock offs KNEW that it wasn't a real ferrari. I think something to do with the paperwork though pissed of ferrari. the people that bought the cars, they knew they were fakes. that's what's confusing me. It's not like they said "Yeah this things TOTALLY real down to every nut and bolt!"

Ferrari happens to be a guys last name. A guy that spent his life, and billions developing an automobile company. So proud of the quality of his product that he signed each and every car with his name.

I don't have a problem understanding why Ferrari is a little upset, or the Italian goverment for that matter. I'm sure that the commerce generated by Ferrari to the Italian goverment is staggering.

Ferrari aside. How would you like it if someone took a ♥♥♥♥ box Vega of the 80's, 4 cylinder American POS, and put your name all over it.

That's not even considering some lousey fiberglass body work, and an idiot behind the wheel in plaid pants, and fake rubber bally loafers. It's a package deal!

Ferrari probably remembers the last time someone did that....The Zimmer Quicksilver.

Take a fiero, graft a bumper off of a 50's Mercury on the front and call it done. That turd is still floating in the pool!

That said... would'nt it be cool to have one of the well executed Corvette based Daytona Spyders?

Give me a break - talk about a journalist that hypes up a nothing story. They are nothing but kit cars that are made and sold all over the world. The 308/328 is usually made on a Fiero chassis and the 360 shown is usually installed on a late model Toyota MR2. And where did the V4 come from. You would think the Wall Street Journal would do better.

BTW, Ferrari does pursue and try to shut down any company that makes and sells Ferrari kits. It’s a long story but basically Ferrari went to the US Courts and got them to agree that the design and shape of any Ferrari is unique. The courts agreed and they proceeded to knock on the door of anybody that was making and selling a replica of a Ferrari.

It all started when the TV show Miami Vice featured a Ferrari Daytona Spyder built on a Corvette chassis made by Tom McBurnie. Tom fought them in court and lost. Yup, Tom is the same guy who owns Thunder Ranch. http://www.thunderranch.com/

As an interesting side note, I read somewhere that Ferrari makes more money selling the rights to their name then it does selling cars!