HybridZ

CV Driveshaft?

rudypoochris

Has anyone ever heard of CV joints being used at the drive shaft instead of U-Joints? Could a CV joint possibly reduce chances of vibration? Would a CV joint capable of handling the same load as a comparable U-joint be excessively large? Anyone know why CV joints are not used for drive shafts? Thanks guys!

4wds with really excessive U joint angles sometimes run CVs or dual U-joints which work like a CV. They're pretty big because they need to be, I don't think I've seen it done on a car but I see no reason not to. I think the CV's will eat up a bit more power than U-joints if the angles are kept correct, and the only reason I can think of to use them is if you couldn't possibly get the angles right.

I didn't read this page, but it looks like it has a lot of the info you're looking for:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/

I have a Z driveshaft that uses a CV at the front end. Dont know where it came from but it fit my 240 with a R200 and 5 speed all in the stock locations. Actually now that you reminded me I am not using it anymore so if anyone's interested it's for sale.

Cameron

There are many different types of CV joint, including Fixed Ball, Single Roller Tripod Plunging Joint, Ball Plunging Joint, etc. You can read about them at http://www.add.gknplc.com/products.htm None have anything to do with our needs and heavy-duty 4x4 driveshafts.

This leads me to believe the author things a CV joint to be too weak for performance/heavy duty applications. Interesting. I will continue to research.