HybridZ

roll cage start open to advice (not 56k friendly)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the kit for a basic 10 pt less expensive than the equivalent lengths of pipe? im going with the cheaper option. dont get me wrong, im not going to buy pipes unless i know they are good for a roll cage. thats why i was wondering if i could get it at home depot, i need to know what pipe i can use and what pipe i cant use so i dont end up with 220 lbs of useless weight on my car.

but its cheaper. plus i have a couple guys helping me, both of which teach auto mechanics at the local JC and one of them built sprint cars for a extra long time so its not like ill be some jackass randomly welding pipes together. il be some jackass being taught how to meticulously fab and install a cage in his own car. its a win win in my eyes. and its not like im getting ready for a series to start and i have a deadline or anything. im just building myself a car.

Seriously, if you didn't know that DOM tubing was required for roll cages, or even what DOM stands for (drawn over mandrel) then this is over your head at the moment. Do some research, get the SCCA rulebook, or something similar, and read up.

Basically, what is sold at HD is ERW pipe. Electric Resistance Welded. That means that it has a seam, which is a weak point. It will split along the seam in a wreck, rendering your roll cage just more sharp pointy heavy debris inside your car, right next to your head. It'll probably still split along that seam when you goto bend it, if you aren't careful.

Really, you will want DOM Chrome-Moly tubing. Makes for a lighter cage, but has to be TIG welded due to heat affected zone hardening, making the welds brittle. The chrome-moly part is not as important, but it is stronger overall. You will NEED drawn over mandrel (DOM) seamless tubing in order to bend it without fear of splitting it. Also, DOM seamless is the only really safe material for a roll cage, in 99% of all rulebooks and 100% of all common sense.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that you want "pipe" of any sort. You need "tubing," specifically DOM tubing. Tubing and pipe are measured differently as well, so make sure you know what you are getting. Pipe is measuring in ID and the wall thickness changes with the size of the pipe. However, tubing can be ordered in varying thicknesses and different OD/ID. I was always told that unless you need something to run through it, you need tubing. Pipe is only good unless you are a plumber or plan on building fences.

check out this link on tubing

http://www.speedymetals.com/information/material17.html

I have bought all my metal from these guys, very easy to deal with and have pretty competitive prices.

Hope this helps

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that you want "pipe" of any sort. You need "tubing," specifically DOM tubing. Tubing and pipe are measured differently as well, so make sure you know what you are getting. Pipe is measuring in ID and the wall thickness changes with the size of the pipe. However, tubing can be ordered in varying thicknesses and different OD/ID. I was always told that unless you need something to run through it, you need tubing. Pipe is only good unless you are a plumber or plan on building fences.

I have bought all my metal from these guys, very easy to deal with and have pretty competitive prices.

Hope this helps

Thats a good way to discribe the diffrence

Hope this helps

thats what im talking about! thanks for the info.