HybridZ

Has anyone ever did a custom turbo on an NA??

ZQ8Dude

I always hear about people doing TT engine swaps, but what about picking up an NA and then building a single turbo setup for it??

I'm thinking about buying a Z32 and doing something like that. Maybe try and to the rearmount setup thats been done on several different vehicles. As its probably easier to swap out when smog comes around. :cool:

Please use proper grammar. "Has...did" is not proper.

Yes you "can" do a NA-TT conversion with a VG30DE but by the time you finish the conversion you could have a perfectly good TT JDM motor with low miles and a lot of hours and money into the project. Seeing as many VG30DETT engines for $1500 as I do it just does not make much sense financially.

OTM

Please use proper grammar. "Has...did" is not proper.

Yes you "can" do a NA-TT conversion with a VG30DE but by the time you finish the conversion you could have a perfectly good TT JDM motor with low miles and a lot of hours and money into the project. Seeing as many VG30DETT engines for $1500 as I do it just does not make much sense financially.

OTM

Ca hates JDM. 1500 is nice, but the cost of installation/etc. will be atleast another 2k. An inexpensive turbo kit should be able to be fabbed up for less. on a BMW site a guy managed to build a complete setup for 1k$

As for the grammar, noticed that. My mistake.

Fabbing up a turbo system is not all that you will have to do.

VG30DETT internals are different than VG30DE internals (lower compression for the turbo model)

Why would it cost $2k to install the engine? Just pull the old one and stick the new one in. Maybe a weekend event with a couple pals?

You really need to search. There aren't as many Z32 guys here as there are S30 and S130 guys.

VG30DETT internals are different than VG30DE internals (lower compression for the turbo model)

Why would it cost $2k to install the engine? Just pull the old one and stick the new one in. Maybe a weekend event with a couple pals?

You really need to search. There aren't as many Z32 guys here as there are S30 and S130 guys.

2k, because i'd rather save myself the headache and have a shop do it.

Ask at twinturbo.net

I believe NA-TT swaps run around $6k-7k from a reputable shop when everything is set and done.

Unless you have some ridiculous custom work in your NA, it's much easier to sell and buy a TT instead.

Rear mounted setups have their pros and cons. It's been debated here before.

Mario

the same thing i would do.

Ca hates JDM. 1500 is nice, but the cost of installation/etc. will be atleast another 2k. An inexpensive turbo kit should be able to be fabbed up for less. on a BMW site a guy managed to build a complete setup for 1k$

As for the grammar, noticed that. My mistake.

CA hates JDM that never came to the states. The VG30DETTs that get front-clipped and shipped over are the same as the ones that got sold here, so CA won't have any heartburn.

How about TTing the N/A motor?

http://www.zfilms.org/Stories/Z32/2006/Chapter9/index.html

It did break though.

Also I've found JDM motors in l.a. county for $1100 and it comes with turbos, but they tell you to throw them away. Crazy people. The motor isn't the expensive part, it's all the extras that'll drain the wallet.

• 1 month later...

I'd agree, there are countless followers of S30/S130, and even Z31, but getting into Z32 territory, you'll find tt.net the place for that.

However, I'm with the "weekend special with a few friends" idea. It isn't that difficult, it just takes commitment, patience, and ability to work through it. Having a VG30DETT-savvy friend never hurts. I'm still kicking around my RB26 plans, but the NA has got to go.

Building a reliable cheap NA>TT? Doesn't exist. It can either be cheap, or reliable. Take your pick.

-McShred

I always hear about people doing TT engine swaps, but what about picking up an NA and then building a single turbo setup for it??

I'm thinking about buying a Z32 and doing something like that. Maybe try and to the rearmount setup thats been done on several different vehicles. As its probably easier to swap out when smog comes around. :cool:

A custom single turbo has been built on a Z32 but it was a TT engine. Like said below the NA compression isnt really boost friendly but it can take a little with the right tuning. I believe that Z1 used stock turbos on an NA engine years ago and made around 400rwhp and with the higher compression it had a little more torque down low than a comparable TT compression engine.

• 1 month later...
Guest 240z-LS2

I'd like to see somebody try a Rotrex C30-94 on their Z, since it's very small unit. Sounds like a turbo too.:mrgreen:

28.jpg

300px-HKS_Rotrex_Supercharger_02_z.jpg

:icon55: