HybridZ

key does nothing

Hey guys, Picked up a 72 240z recently and when I hit the key I get absolutely nothing (no clicking, etc). I bought a new ignition switch and threw that in today but still, nothing and no noise. Right now I have a jumper going from the + on the battery and the + on the coil with a jumper on the solenoid that I tap on the + of the battery. With this hooked up the car starts fine. When I try the key with the coil jumper hooked up, some of the interior dash lights go on (brake light and gauges work) and I get some clicking from the key. When I turn the key to start with the jumpers, the volt meter moves and the dash lights die (battery needs to be charged). At this point im thinking its a bad solenoid. When I went to tighten one of the connections on the solenoid the front face where all of the connectors are plugged in spun with it. It was like the end of the solenoid (the black part) was detached from the case. I have power going to the solenoid, but my car does nothing... Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?? I might just try and pick up a new solenoid when I go in to pick up my alternator tomorrow.

So even with the key on you still have to run a hot wire to the coil? You cant simply bump it with the starter only from the selinoid? Have you tried this way yet?

I'm wondering if your feeding + juice back into the system. Did you remove the other + wires from the coil that were supposed to supply.

Hmm, I'll have to try that tomorrow.. All of the wires are still on the coil, I just have another wire on there running to the + on the battery. Once I pull that wire from the + on the battery though, the car dies. I was just out messing with it and nothing happened without the hot on the coil. Yet, with that wire on, when I would turn the key to about midway from lock to off the starter would engage for a second and it started the car. When turned to on, the brake light on the dash would go out, and when turned to start it would bright back up a little and the starter would spin but not engage(could only get it to do that sometimes). I can only get the lights to work if I have the car running and have the key turned to start, anywhere else they do nothing. Someone help me clear up these gremlins :( I really wanna start to drive the car.

^^ That was with all the wires connected. Fuse link, Black and yellow (Spade connector) and the jumper to the coil. Im pretty sure the spade connector goes to the coil though anyway? You think it might just be the solenoid? Seems like a pretty good idea to me..

Check and see If you have voltage on both sides of the fuse linkes with a test light. But that dont sound like the problem. See If you get voltage at the small wire that connects to the starter while someone else turns the key. You might want to check the bottom fuse on the right hand side of the fuse box also just a few ideas.

I know that I have power going into the solenoid, but when I put the light tester on the other connections on the solenoid they dont light up (didnt have some to turn the key for the spade). Im in class right now, but when I get home im going to throw on my alternator and see if I can figure some more stuff out.

Well I can just check them to see if they are working with the light tester. I was talking with my friend today about it and tried to think of what it was. The power from the batter goes directly to the solenoid, then from there goes to the fuseable link, the starter itself(the little wire from solenoid to starter), and the the black and yellow spade that goes to the coil. Correct? The fuseable link goes to the fuse box or the ignition? Once I pull the jumper from the coil to the battery the car will turn off. So I guess that means that Im not getting power to the coil which leads me to believe that the spade connector isn't working correctly. Im going to try and use my jumper and go from the coil to the spade on the solenoid to see if maybe its a faulty wire when I get home. So if im not getting power to the coil without the jumper then I would again think that its the solenoid. What are your thoughts?

Just tried what JSM suggested and that didn't work, the motor would only crank. Put the hot to the coil on and it started right up.. I tried connecting the spade connector and then bridging the + on the solenoid to the spade, it turned over a little but didnt continue to run (key turned to on). Gonna go trace some wires and see what else I can come up with.

Ok, well I tested to see if when you turn the key to start if the spade connector would light up on the light tester, nothing. Check everywhere else on the car.. no power. This is with all the wires hooked up how they should be. I know that power is going into the solenoid, but every other connection on the solenoid has no power (fuseable link and the exposed piece that connects to the starter itself. So if im getting no power to anything else with the correct wires hooked up then im in need of a new solenoid? What would be your guess?

If your not getting power to the + side of the coil with the key in the on postion something else is wrong in my opinion. I would trace this down before putting a new solenoid on the car. It may be all releated.

You've verified all your fuses w/an ohm meter and not just by site?

I don't get power to any of the fuses unless that coil wire is hooked up. NOTHING gets power without that wire and even some things don't with it on. I checked all the fuses not long ago and they were all fine (checked with a light tester). I just had the car running with the coil wire hooked up and the gauges would only go on in I believe the ACC position, when I turned to on they would go off. Someone come over and help me out.. lol.

My feeling is your suppling the entire harness with power through the + side of the coil through one wire. This is very bad. I'd quit running the car if this is the case. Your very likely to cause more damage then what is there.

You said above your lights (headlights) will not come on if you switch them on correct? Mine do and all early Z's that I know of do. This means your not getting power to your harness. Have you checked all your grounds? For kicks run a new ground wire from the battery to the chasis.

Also if you determine which is the main postive wire on the fuse block run a wire from the + side of the battery to it. Then give it a shot.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram in the electrical section of the forum?

Also follow the harness through the fire wall to see if it plugs into any connectors. I don't recall if it does or not. Check these connectors if it does.

Well the power isn't leaving the solenoid.. The + on the battery isn't connected to anything except for that. I get no power to the fuseable link and no power to the spade when I turn the key to start. I can tap the solenoid on the battery and it will work tho.. so that means that when I turn the key that its not supplying the 12v it needs to engage the starter? Power should be coming from the solenoid side of the fuseable link though, but its not... By the time I figure this out I will be bald..