HybridZ

Rear end issue

BSD

Alright so, the 81 is finally pretty stripped down, it's an auto btw, with the r180. My 83 has the 3.9 r200.. manual of course.

The issue is that I am converting my 81 to a manual, and would like to use the r200 off the 83. The 81 is a 2+2, sooooo I have no idea whether the auto driveshaft would fit/work with the manual transmission and rear end off of the 83. Anyone know? =/

/raises hand

Pick me! pick me! I know!

The S130 has 8 driveshafts. 4 for 2 seater, 4 for 2+2. 2 of each are manual and the other 2 are auto. Of each pair there's one for turbo, one for NA.

So if your 83' is a 2 seater, then you'll need the shaft from a 2+2 manual non turbo.

AS FAR AS I KNOW (I could be completely wrong here) the rear end of all the shafts are the same, regardless if it's a R180 or R200.

You should be able to check pretty easily. Pull both shafts and compare the diff end.

Thanks Gollum, I appreciate the response.( Pick me, pick me! Lol )Mmmm, now I have to find a shaft from a 2+2 manual.. alright so.. I was going to actually swap in a turbo engine, since thats the case, would I have to change anything in the rear? Would the non-turbo shaft be alright to still use? Eventually I was just going to get a T5, but I heard the T5 can't be hooked up to a 2+2 without special fabrication, correct me if I am wrong of course... Sorry for the questions, haha.

actually the end pieces are different depending on which drive shaft you get. Had a problem when I changed out auto on 81zxt. the manual drive shaft inut spline is smaller than the turbo shaft. there is a round end piece and a rectangular one. If memory serves the rectangular one fits most r200 but I did see one off an r200 supposedly that would fit the round end. On the the rectangular one save the bolts cause they are special half moon head to fit. also when you change from r200 to r180 or vice versa there is U bolt looking piece that carries the front of the the tranny. that will need to be removed and rotated 180 degrees then reinsert. you need to drop the gas tank some to get at the nuts. not total removal just needs to drop down an inch or so. safest bet on the drive shaft is to insert it into the tranny you are using and see if it is right size. match up the end piece to the tranny input flange. you also need the clutch hydraulics and the cage that holds the pedals for a manual tranny. All the holes are there but you need the pieces. that cage does come out but takes some wiggling seems like you forgot a bolt then suddenly it is sitting on the floor. four bolts that hold the vacuum assist and two up under the dash outboard of the steeing column.

Well your termonology concerns me.

"Manual instead of a turbo"

Ok, there's manual turbo shafts, and manual NA shafts, just so we're straight.

Now that I've said that, if you go with the T5 you'll NEED a turbo shaft, and it has to be manual because the auto shaft won't be the right length.

I've got the 2+2 manual turbo driveshaft, and it's proved no use to me. Obviously I'm willing to part with it, so you're in luck. To those in the future, I'd highly recommend swapping JUST THE MOTOR, and then doing the T5 swap once you have everything needed and you're 100% sure it'll all fit. Otherwise you'll be up a creek wondering what part you need to make it all work.

That's the lesson I learned the hard way.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I am just trying to get that auto tranny out.. once its manual i'm going to start looking for a T5.. and cvs..I appreciate all the information, you guys are a big help... Unlike some forums..

why bother with the t5 check on the posts but I haven't heard any raves about that tranny. the n/a five speed works just fine and is the same length as the auto so no need to find the right drive shaft. the 81 I did took an n/a 5 spd from an 81 and she is still running fine. Only problem I had was matching input and output flanges/splines from the various components. cv half shaft can be found on turbo and 2+2. you need to pull the hubs to make them mate up. they just pop out of the diffy and are same if they both come from either an r200 set up or an r180 setup. the r 180 shafts are different length cause the diffy is narrower.

I'm not positive the trannies are the same length auto to manual.

I recently pulled a turbo car with an auto, and the tranny seemed MUCH longer than either my nissan 5 speed or T5, and the shaft was accordingly short.

They didn't use a different auto for the turbo did they?

guarantee that a 5 spd manual from an 81 will drop right into an 81 turbo cause i did it. Believe that would be the case for the 82, 83 but havent' done that.

But you used the manual's shaft didn't you? Was it a NA tranny or a turbo 5 speed? Both have unique shafts that differ from the auto.

79-83 can all use the same transmissions, and share identical mounting positions for everything. So pretty much any part can be dropped into any S130. The one thing that bugs me is that I'm not sure weather or not a driveshaft mating to a R180 can mate to a R200. If not, then nissan made even more variations of the driveshafts than I'd ever anticipated.