HybridZ

A Good Day At CMP

Mayolives

Carolina Motorsports Park was the perfect place to be yesterday. The sun was shining, temperatures reached the low seventies and there were many good cars on hand for The Turn One event. Jt1 was there with the bad a** white sbc 240 car. As usual he is the hot shoe! Member Mark brought out has new IMSA style, wide body, LS1 powered 240 track car for a first day shake down. This car has a list of goodies complete with dry sump and even though it was run at 80% for this test day............it is a very well driven rocket ship that will fly the "z banner" high. Just a few more bugs that need to be worked out and it will be aforce to be reckoned with here in the Carolinas! Good job Mark.

It was a great day for sure. A beautiful South Carolina early spring day, cool in the moring but warming up nicely with a light breeze. Tom shows up driving one of his fleet of cars, a very nice gunmetal turbo 280ZX that is a real sweetheart. I had my 73 240, a CMP veteran.

The reason we were there was Mark bringing his 240Z track car for it's first shakedown run. I hadn't seen it in person, and was really looking forward to seeing it run. I was not disappointed!!!!!! Mark is going to debug the car before it's painted, so it's in primer, but all the details make it really special. A dry sump LS1, big flares with 12" CCW's, and gnose with a snowplow sized air dam/splitter that's easily removable are the first things you notice. Then there's the very unique cage and a custom Butler seat with an inflatable lumbar support. It's as comfortable as my recliner at home. Arizona Z suspension and big Wilwoods complete the package. Mark's usual attention to the details is everywhere, showing a lot of thought and hard work.

She's gonna be rocket ship fast to go with the good looks, too. We were running together, and despite me running the white car as hard as she would go, Mark stayed stuck right to my bumper, apparently cruising easily at half throttle.

I can't wait to see him turn it loose!

John

Tom and John, I appreciate you help and support yesterday. Having you guys there to see the first run was fitting. I have had lots of fun miles with you both on the track.

Tom's 280 zx is a time capsule. Great looking car. It's always a blast to see John go thru the kink at a GPS verified 104 and 1.41 G's on 3 wheels. We really need to get video of that.

My goal was to get a lap or two in before I had to put the car on the trailer. I ended up running 3 sessions before a rear end problem put an end to the day. I have the dreaded clunk. The autopsy starts in a few minutes. It was a very succesful first outing and I brought home a list of things that need to be addressed before the next track day.

Here are a few pics of the car.

Track_car_pics_002.JPG

Thanks Mike,

I just pulled the drive shaft and half shafts. It turns out one of the bolts that holds the diff to the mustache bar had backed loose. I'm pumped. An easy fix.

Next event VIR with the Z car guys!