HybridZ

video trying to get 280z started

Here is a short vid of my car trying to run. short story is the car sat for 6 years. I now want to start driving it again but i can not get it to run longer than 20 sec. I replaced the gas tank, flexable fuel lines, blew out hard lines with 135 psi, fuel filters, pump, injectors, new oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat, water temp sensor. The afm works. All of the electrical connections look solid. i am out of ideas. I went through the FI Bible. No luck. i have been at this for a few months now and have searched quite a bit sor ideas. anything that you can come up with i would greatly appreciate it.

In the video, the car does respond to throttle inputs, but dies on its own. Yes, there is an exhaust leak. I have replaced the gasket numerous times when i did drive it. And yes it needs a bath but i doubt that dirt is making it run like crap

TIA

jimbo

Are you sure the FP is staying at 20 PSI? Is there the posibility that there isn't enough presure, thus dying out? How do your plugs look?

Once it dies will it start back up right away? How long does it take to repeat the scenario? If not do you still have spark?

My thinking is before you start the car the system primes enough to get pressure to the injectors. Once running the demand is to high to keep running and starves for fuel.

You checked all your AFM boots for vacuum leaks and cracks? What about other vacuum leaks?

My bet, is that it's the afm. This is just a guess but I had a very similar problem. There is a strip of metal that when contact is made or broken I can't remeber which, that fuel is cut. Its called the "angel" switch, its there so that in the case of an accident the fuel pump will shut off and not flood the crash site with gas.

Here is what I think you should try.

1st. Check and double check your AFM connections for frayed wires or shorts.

2nd. If that checks out, then run a hot wire from your fuel pump to your battery so it cannot shut off. This IS NOT SAFE! I only want you to do this to see if it is a fuel pump power related problem.

3rd. If 2nd is ture that pop off your afm cover and bend back the tab of metal just a bit, so that it breaks contact as soon as the afm flap is moved.

Give those a shot and get back to me.

• 1 month later...

finally. IT RUNS. tried afm. mine im sure wrked untill i tried to take the cover off. opps. new afm. put fp gauge on there again. hits 40 psi and then drains to 10 in about 20 sec. of bad fuel pump? teid another. nope. ok. throw some tools around the garage:evil:. i took jumper cables from my truck and hooked it up to the pump. it works. turned on the car, 35-40 psi solid.:mrgreen: so after consulting with clifton, i run new wires to the fuel pump as the hot wire was not hot. tonight i drove the car around the block several times. brakes need work. the car bucks around a little bit when barely on the gas. need to figure that out. in a day or two i will drive it over to coyote garys place for him to look at and get the ac charged up and anything else that i missed. things are looking up finally. any ideas on the bucking?

jimbo