HybridZ

Sandblasting gear?

Currently using sandpaper, tal-strip, and "paint removal" wheels on a drill to strip the car of paint. It sucks, takes forever, smells bad, is messy, works poorly in hard-to-reach locations, etc. Got me lookin' into other ways of doing things.

So, I'm lookin' to sandblast my car, and I'd like to do it myself. I'm hoping to spend $500-600 to do the job, and it needs to include the equipment cost.

However, I know next to nothing about sandblasting aside from "don't use sand, use (X,Y,Z)!" and "wear a breathing aparatus!". I know less about the gear that's used. Can someone link to a page that contains everything I need to fully strip the car inside and out?

How long will it take to go from a painted chassis to a stripped-and-primed one? Can it be done in one weekend?

Perhaps you may want to look into Soda Blasting is way better than Sand Blasting, it will clean the Metal as well as removing the paint, and more important, it leave a "protecting coat" on the body that will prevent the body from getting corroded if left under a cover for at least 3 weeks. Soda Blasting is a bit pricy compare to Sand Blasting, Just Google soda blasting, you'll see what I’m talking about.

Respectfully,

Alex

How long will it take to go from a painted chassis to a stripped-and-primed one? Can it be done in one weekend?

I just did this last fall, I took a week off work to do it. IMO you dont want to blast the outer sheetmetal panels they can warp , I got a electric harbor freight 7" var speed sander polisher with 80 grit disk for it, I striped the outer surfaces of fenders, hood, doors, roof , rear quarters with it then finished it off with 120 on a DA.

I got a diesel powered compressor/trailer and a 250lb pressurized blaster from a local tool rental place, I bought about 15 100 lb bags of Coal slag ( get the fine 30/60 size) I had a full tyvek suit and full hood with a positive pressure air supply to it , ( borrowed from a friend) This imo is a must you could do it without it but you will be miserable.

I had the shell on a rotissery, that made life much easier. I blasted everything that I didnt strip with the disk. took about 4 hrs to blast it all.

It will take a few hours to clean all the slag out of the car/parts, with compressed air ,shop vac.

You want to use a waterborne Wax and grease remover an wipe everything down with clean cloths many times till nothing shows up on the cloth as you wipe it off. I used SPI products.

I also used SPI epoxy to prime the bare metal, I used a harbor freight HVLP gun and it worked suprisingly well.

It took me about 5 days total from start stripping to putting 2 coats of epoxy on everything,

Make sure you have everything you need before you start, you dont want to leave bare metal bare for too long it can actually start to rust i hours.

You can use picklex but thats another step to do.

Oh yea it cost me about $500 +/- $50 to do it, which was alot cheaper ( and alot more work) then the $1800 quote I got from a local stripping business.

Whatever you do, use the right respirator (or as the man from Cinnci wisely suggested: supplied air respirator).

I got silicosis BAD just from using beach sand on my engine bay and a cheapie mask-type 'dust mask'... And I still get sand out the ventilation system at high speeds... 23 years later!

Good Luck!

Think a little thing like that would strip a car? Or would it just piss ya off? From what I can see, it will take off a couple layers of paint in a strip about 1/2 inch wide. Seems to me that it'd take months to finish the car at that rate.

I have that very Harbor Freight blaster, Never got it to work well till i converted it to PABlaster style, works ok for small to medium sized parts ,

and it would take forever to do a car with it , and probably burn up your air compressor.

Heres a link to the equipment I rented, Coal slag is alot safer then sand very low silica.

http://www.artsrental.com/index.html?ACTION=Rental&STATE=5&cid=10

http://www.artsrental.com/index.html?ACTION=Rental&STATE=5&cid=492

http://www.marcousa.com/products.cfm?id=33&CD2=Yes