HybridZ

what's it called?? HELP!

The bolt is the stub axle. The nut is a 22mm stub axle nut. You remove it by using an impact wrench or place a pipe between the wheel studs and a ~2+ foot breaker on the nut. Replace the nut with one from a 280zx. Search HZ to find information on the P/N and then probably easiest is to order through courtesyparts.com. I think this is it:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/lock-nut-rear-axle-1979-1983-280zx-non-turbo-p-569145.html?cPath=7002_7768&

But you should double check...

• Administrators

That is the spindle pin. Nissan sells those new. Search this and other Z car forums for "Spindle Pin Removal" and you'll find a couple different ways to successfully remove that pin. Oh, and don't forget to the remove the wedge bolt first. The little nut on the bottom of the hub, in between the those two bigger nuts. Once you remove that nut, you need to tap that wedge bolt out.

Good luck,

Paul

I heated the hub up nearly red hot and then shocked it by pouring beer that i had in the shop all over it just before hammering like i was prospecting gold nuggets - the only thing that worked after about 6 hours of work!I think it was more coincidence combined with the fact that i had already done the same thing about ten times only with pb blaster instead of beer beforehand.

Doesn't that change the properties of the metal making it very brittle and prone to failiure? Called 'quenching' right?

I had them removed by the local Napa machine shop. Had them pressed out $25 total. It gouged a 1" long 1/8" deep bit out of the strut side of things when it came out, but no biggie.

True enough!! One of the most difficult things to change on a S30...... if you dont have a press. Lots of pre-WD-40ing , a big hammer and a beer per side usualy gets the job done. CONGRATS!

A tip for future removal....Before re-assembly I smeer that zinc anti sieze all over the spindle. Most of it wipes off but enough stays to make a difference.

I hate doing it!

two40zjunky: you have just completed a right of passage in the zcar owners club. The spindle pins are a notoriously difficult job on these cars. Well done!

no joke guys!! I have done everything to this car but that pin and link removal took longer to remove than all of the suspension components

put together. those bushings were rusted solid into the a-arm, thank

to my job for having a 10 ton press around to make things a little smoother for me.

I will have to post more pics when I get everything reinstalled on the car. trying to get it done by the Z show this month.