HybridZ

aluminum suspension peice, need input as to strength.

so, Im putting 240sx coilovers on my 280zx and I had to build an adapter type thing so I could put a maxima/stanza ball joint on my stock 280ZX control arm to maintain porper suspension geometry, as the 240sx/maxima/stanza ball joint sits at about a 30 degree angle when compared to the control arm. where as the 280ZX is flat. Also, I needed to extend the ball joint to control arm bolt lenght by about 1" to maintain proper geometry.

So, what I did was to make an adapter out of 6061 aluminum. Its 1" thick and I just tapped threads into it and Im using bolts that have full thread engagement. I bolt it to the stock ball joint mounting locations on the control arm and maintain the stock TC rod, then I bolt the maxima/stanza ball joint to the alumium peice.

so, will this peice break? will it hold up? flame away if you want, just make it constructive, please! could I get away with using a stronger alloy? or would I be better off just making the same peice out of 1/2" thick steel?

thanks!

IMAGE_140_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_141_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_147_thumb.jpg

IMAGE_148_thumb.jpg

coilover2_thumb.JPG

Since there are over 2000 different grades of aluminum, T6061 with a T6 harness being widely used for parts such as what you have, I wouldn't be concerned with it unless you don't have the T6 harness, but then only mildly concerned. Being that as it may, about all I can say it's up to your discretion.

no welds, just cut out of a straight chunk of aluminum. This was essentially a mock up peice, made to check that all the geometries are in order before I make the final one.

It is my understanding that very little weight is placed on the control arm, and that it is tension forces i should be concerned about as the control arm is merely there to keep the shock/hub in place laterally, and the tension rod is there to keep it in place fore and aft, is this correct?

which would you recommend, 7075 or 2024?

EDIT: I just checked, the alloy is 6061-t6.

Basically mild steel is 55ksi tensile strength, 6061 T6 is 45ksi, 2024 T3 is 70ksi, 7075 T6 is 83ksi. Not all 7075 have that property so watch out when buying it and don't get plain 7075. Expect to pay alot more for 7075. I met with an aluminum sales rep today at lunch and aluminum is going up monthly. Thickness and shape will determine what would be best IMO. Even for 6061 you only need about 1.3 time the thickness of mild steel to have equal strength. So I wouldn't be that concerned about it IMO.