HybridZ

Sanderson Block Hugger headers cc1-7/8

I was considering ordering some for my new turbo build to simplify the exhaust plumbing. Just have it come forward and up in front of the engine on the drivers side where the turbo will be mounted. Seems easier using my NA motored z as a pattern IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Doc...I apologize, I meant to answer this a long time ago and thought I did, but guess I didn't...old age for you. Yes, I used a set of the Sanderson 1 7/8 block huggers on my 240z and they work well. Put them on a Bill Mitchell 454 small block with 220 Motown angle plug heads and they gave me plenty of room to change plugs. I did have to relocate the steering shaft and cut out/box the frame on the passengers side for them to fit. They actually worked better for my motor than my 1 3/4 long tubes. I ran a 6.69 in the 1/8th mile at 102 and change on M&H street tires. They are well built and good looking when they are coated...I will dig up a picture and add to this so you can see what they look like.

Wayne

Sanderson 1 7-8 sbc block huggers_thumb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I guess if they work then that is the route I will be taking here in a couple weeks when I do my SBC swap.

Hey, Doc...I apologize, I meant to answer this a long time ago and thought I did, but guess I didn't...old age for you. Yes, I used a set of the Sanderson 1 7/8 block huggers on my 240z and they work well. Put them on a Bill Mitchell 454 small block with 220 Motown angle plug heads and they gave me plenty of room to change plugs. I did have to relocate the steering shaft and cut out/box the frame on the passengers side for them to fit. They actually worked better for my motor than my 1 3/4 long tubes. I ran a 6.69 in the 1/8th mile at 102 and change on M&H street tires. They are well built and good looking when they are coated...I will dig up a picture and add to this so you can see what they look like.

Wayne

Holy crap you have an awesome ride!:cheers:

• Administrators
Like these?

Friggin' expensive, ouch!

Oh well, they are here.

So steering shaft mod possibly, not bad I can handle that ok. You like them otherwise? Does the coating last?

Yeah, I like them, now quit your darn sniveling and get back out there and do something constructive, like build a shop or work on your Z... SLACKER!!! geeze....

Doc,

EXACTLY like those....I definitely like them, although I am not using them on the turbo motor of course...One word of caution, if you are tuning on the dyno, don't use coated headers until after you are tuned, as I don't know of any that won't be worse for wear. I made that mistake and it turned the coating into a light grayish color...they don't look as good as they used to, but they still don't rust either, but I'm not sure about the thermal capability now as opposed to before.

Wayne

Yeah, I like them, now quit your darn sniveling and get back out there and do something constructive, like build a shop or work on your Z... SLACKER!!! geeze....

Burp! Eh Burp! Just waiting for my stimulus check. You know to get stimulated. :lmao:

Doc,

EXACTLY like those....I definitely like them, although I am not using them on the turbo motor of course...One word of caution, if you are tuning on the dyno, don't use coated headers until after you are tuned, as I don't know of any that won't be worse for wear. I made that mistake and it turned the coating into a light grayish color...they don't look as good as they used to, but they still don't rust either, but I'm not sure about the thermal capability now as opposed to before.

Wayne

Actually, my plan was to have Mobythevan come down and tune it for me for the most part. He's a megasquirt guru as opposed to me :newbie:

The CC5 is the type recommended on the JTR website for V8/Z swaps. I think it's for clearance reasons but I don't think they look as good.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0601sr_exhaust_headers/index.html

These guys are a bit better on the wallet:

http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/new_headers.htm

Note that the ones listed on ThermalTechCoatings' site as being angle plug, D-port, (T8019 and T8019C) are oval port, and won't seal well on the D-port heads.

http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/images/DCP_2891.JPG

I've been there and done that. In fact, if you search, you'll find my thread on it, and why I ended up buying the CC5s from JTR, but specified D-Port when I ordered. Note that they are generally cheaper from JTR than from Sanderson as well.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103407&highlight=d-port+headers

I'd love to find a 1-3/4" long tube, shortie, or block hugger header that would work with angle plugs and D-port and fit in the JTR position!

I've been there and done that. In fact, if you search, you'll find my thread on it, and why I ended up buying the CC5s from JTR, but specified D-Port when I ordered. Note that they are generally cheaper from JTR than from Sanderson as well.

You da man Pete. I've been leaning towards iron manifolds so I emailed Sanderson to see if their QP 1000 models have true D ports. If they don't I'll go with the CC5s.

This is the type of info that should go in the recent "good headers for a 350 swap?" post. With all the info on this site about headers it really would be nice to have everything in one place so you didn't have to search all over hell and back. I'm surprised your original post did not lead to a sticky about what headers work on SBC/Z swaps.

Maybe it's just me, but I would be really cautious about cheap ebay headers that are made out of stainless steel or are coated. Obviously you would expect the coating to flake off, and I would put some solid money on the welds cracking on those stainless headers.

Just my $.02, I never could weld stainless well anyway.:cry2: