HybridZ

Please help - I think I've been sold a bad turbo

Lukaniuk

Well first some good news. I got my megasquirt installed and idling, but it was idling SUPER rich (7.6 on the WB o2) and no matter what I tried to do I couldn't lean it out. It was smoking white a little bit, but I figured that was just because it was running so rich.

Well I go to the back of the car and I realize why I'm reading so rich

End good news

Its spraying oil out of the exhaust pipe! Its going at least 2.5'. I put my finger in the pipe and the pipe is coated with oil. I had the car running 10-15 minutes max

So the new rebuilt turbo I bought is no good, and my new WB O2 sensor is probably toast now too. I'm so frustrated right now - I thought that if I was going to have problems it would be with the megasquirt.

Could this be something easy to fix? or is this turbo no good?

I'm going to get a hold of the shop I bought if from and see what they'll do, if anything, for me. I'm not really excited about dicking around shipping though!

Have you had a turbo apart mjlamberson? There is only one nut or bolt that would make the turbo leak if its a t3 or t4 series turbo. and thats the nut on the compressior fan. and if that came lose you would hear all kinds of noises. So basically not to be rude but stop guessing when it has no benefit to the OP.Just because it was rebuilt means nothing. It could of been rebuilt but the person who rebuilt it just threw in a rebuild kit and didnt realize that the shaft had been turned down or something like that and that would cause tons of oil. Also how do you know the oil is coming from the turbo and not a bad ring or rings??

Also how do you know the oil is coming from the turbo and not a bad ring or rings??

Compression is good on all cylinders and from what I can tell all the cylinders are clean.

Also, I was driving the car with the stock turbo before I put this one on.

pull your intake piping and see if there is oil in it. Or if its just in the exhaust. but for sure i would be calling the company that built the turbo and see what they have to say. they might of even forgot to put the seal in place. ya never know.

Have you had a turbo apart mjlamberson? There is only one nut or bolt that would make the turbo leak if its a t3 or t4 series turbo. and thats the nut on the compressior fan. and if that came lose you would hear all kinds of noises. So basically not to be rude but stop guessing when it has no benefit to the OP.Just because it was rebuilt means nothing. It could of been rebuilt but the person who rebuilt it just threw in a rebuild kit and didnt realize that the shaft had been turned down or something like that and that would cause tons of oil. Also how do you know the oil is coming from the turbo and not a bad ring or rings??

Im sorry but I dont see what I did wrong... I gave an option, you admit it was an option in your second sentence. I never said that was the only reason it would leak oil. How do I know it wasnt coming from the rings, I didnt, but you didnt know it wasnt from a loose bolt.

The point is you dont really know an answer to his question. There was a post about this from an Admin. here lately.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131790&highlight=answer

Have you ever taken a turbo apart? Have you rebuilt one? do you know what actually leaks on a turbo when it goes? If not then dont post. Its that simple. Giving an uneducated opinion does nothing for the forum and just makes it harder to search for quality info.

Check your plugs like challenger said. If its not in your intake piping then that means its either your oil rings in your engine(which is unlikely if it wasnt smoking on the old turbo) or the control ring behind the turbine wheel. either way the turbo is probably going to have to come off.

The point is you dont really know an answer to his question. There was a post about this from an Admin. here lately.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131790&highlight=answer

Have you ever taken a turbo apart? Have you rebuilt one? do you know what actually leaks on a turbo when it goes? If not then dont post. Its that simple. Giving an uneducated opinion does nothing for the forum and just makes it harder to search for quality info.

Sure it was a guess, and it was a possability, thats the whole premece of trouble shooting isnt it, list the possabilitys., but wasnt your idea just as much of a guess? and yes, I have taken apart and put together a turbo. If you would like to discuss this further feel free to PM me.

Might not be a problem with the turbo at all. Check to make sure you have a restrictor on your oil feed line (full oil pressure and flow will drown out your turbo). Also, check and make sure your return line is not plugged up, kinked, or in some way restricting flow. The return line needs to be at at least 3/4" diameter.

Might not be a problem with the turbo at all. Check to make sure you have a restrictor on your oil feed line (full oil pressure and flow will drown out your turbo). Also, check and make sure your return line is not plugged up, kinked, or in some way restricting flow. The return line needs to be at at least 3/4" diameter.

This is what the guy at the shop said too. I'm using the stock oil line feed for the t3 so I don't think that would be the problem. I had to modify the return a bit so I'll start by checking that out.