HybridZ

Please help - I think I've been sold a bad turbo

Lukaniuk

thanks hughdogz. I'm really excited about it. Can't believe all those tiny parts and hours of soldering actually do something.

I worked on the z all evening. I had the center piece (where the oil and coolant goes in and out and where the housings bolt to) a little bit off of vertical and I figured that would be causing some higher oil pressures. so I got it all straightened out and got it all setup and I took a photo.

showphoto.php?photo=19232&size=big&cat=500

I started the car and it seemed like it had fixed the oil leak. it was idling at 10.3 A/F still rich but a lot better than before. It was smoking a bit, but there's a lot of oil in the exhaust still. I drove it up and down the driveway a few times, bringing it up to just over 2k rpm then down again, it sounded kinda funny when I brought it back down pwsh pwsh pwsh pwsh and then it was idling again at 7.6 A/F ( I think that's as low as the gage goes)

I think I'm going to do some research on an oil restrictor next. I'm just worried I'll go to small and won't get enough oil

The point is you dont really know an answer to his question. There was a post about this from an Admin. here lately.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131790&highlight=answer

He prefaced his statement with "maybe", which is well within the rules of the post you quoted. Lose the attitude.

Back on topic, what size is your supply line, how much oil pressure are you running, and is there a restrictor inline with the turbo's oil supply?

EDIT: oops - and I guess I should have read the second page - DOH. The line size and pressure questions are still relevant, though.

I'm not sure what size the line is. I'm using the stock line for the T3. which didn't give me any problems.

Has anybody else had problems using this line?

That _should_ be okay, provided you aren't running really high oil pressure (say, higher than ~60psi) at the same time. Clocking of the center section could definitely be your root cause, so I'd think your next step would be to just watch it for a while and see if the problem stays gone now that you've re-clocked it.

Is your WB still wonky, or does it appear to be okay now?

Its clocked back now so that the oil flow is completely vertical. It didn't seem to help. Maybe I just didn't run if for long enough.

I'm also figuring I could be having problems with the PCV system. Is it ok to just use a filter on the block vent or is it supposed to be attached to the PCV valve? I'm not getting excessively high oil pressures with the block vented to atmosphere

Its clocked back now so that the oil flow is completely vertical. It didn't seem to help. Maybe I just didn't run if for long enough.

If you get a substantial amount of oil in the exhaust, it can take a while to get it all out.

The hot side oil seal on the turbine shaft is simply a piston ring seal, 2 of them typically. From my experience, they will leak SOME oil upon start up. In order for them to really seal up, a carbon dam is formed around these rings, behind the turbine wheel. If oil is getting backed up in the center section, it will leak, most of the time it will leak into the compressor side, since there is a low pressure area behind the comp wheel. I dont know exactly where your oil is coming from, but unless that turbo has been run for a while at operating temperatures, the carbon dam may not have formed yet. I'd probably run it under load for a while, and see if it seals up, if indeed it is a leaky turbo... Just my $.02

I just re-read, check that you dont have positive pressure in the crank case. if you are running positive pressure in the base, you could have pressure in the center section of the turbo inhibiting drainback, contributing to the leak.

I just re-read, check that you dont have positive pressure in the crank case. if you are running positive pressure in the base, you could have pressure in the center section of the turbo inhibiting drainback, contributing to the leak.

When I get a chance I'm going to try using an oil restrictor. If that doesn't work how can I check/test for positive pressure in the crank case? Would positive pressure in the crank case cause higher pressure in the oil pan and therefore higher pressures in the oil return inhibiting flow?

Sure it was a guess, and it was a possability, thats the whole premece of trouble shooting isnt it, list the possabilitys., but wasnt your idea just as much of a guess? and yes, I have taken apart and put together a turbo. If you would like to discuss this further feel free to PM me.

so what turbo have you taken apart?:wink:

When I get a chance I'm going to try using an oil restrictor. If that doesn't work how can I check/test for positive pressure in the crank case?

A manometer hooked up somewhere, maybe try and adapt something at the oil fill on the rocker cover, and try and test it under load. Turbocharged engines inherently run higher crankcase pressures than NA engines, and theres not a great way to get the gasses out. Pulling PCV into the inlet of the turbocharger works, isnt a great idea unless you have a good system to drop out the oil first. An exhaust venturi works quite well, and can pull a pretty good vacuum. so be sure to have plenty of ventilation. A few inches of vacuum in the crankcase isnt bad, better than positive pressure.

Would positive pressure in the crank case cause higher pressure in the oil pan and therefore higher pressures in the oil return inhibiting flow?

In a word, yes. But its not always that easy. I'd say it "could" inhibit flow in the drain back of the turbo. You dont want any pressure in the center section, you want to supply only as much oil as will drain back freely. Its pretty much an oil bath, constantly flowing across the bearings, cooling and lubricating then flowing out.

How do you have your PCV hooked up? Are you sure that its working? If you have a breeze coming out of the oil fill at idle, I'd say theres too much crankcase pressure. This COULD cause a problem with turbo drainback, thus a hotside oil leak.