HybridZ

Another Dumb L28ET Question (I need your help)

Zlovemachine

Hello Guys,

I am probably going to ask the broadest most repeated question on these forums....

I have a 240z with an L28ET engine, which i did the swap myself. I am tired and fix one problem after another. So i have decided to try something new.

? What is the most cost efficient, least work involved and most reliable stand alone engine management system available. (Please explain)

From my understanding SDS and Megasquirt or big in these forums.

Please feel free to scream, yell, jump up and down. Also you can link past forums, websites or any other ifnormation that can help. I am here to learn cause i am tired of wasting money and trash!!!!!

Gratefully The Zmachine!

I have run an SDS 6F system for 7 years now - I'm very happy with it. The only difficult part of the installation is the ignition trigger magnets and pickup mounting. Although Pallnet may have the mount available.

If you are a tweeker/tinkerer, Megasquirt may be a good option for you. Depends on how much you understand about electronics/computers.

My SDS has been a set it and forget it install, if I never changed my setup, I would have never needed to mess with it.

Doug

I'm installing megasquirt right now. I built my own and it took a lot more time than i origionally expected. If you buy a complete unit I don't think it would take that much time getting it set up. There's a lot of reading to do, but that's to be expected with any ems. There's a good install article at www.diyautotune.com ( http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm )

which also links to an install write up here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=88246

I have run an SDS 6F system for 7 years now - I'm very happy with it. The only difficult part of the installation is the ignition trigger magnets and pickup mounting. Although Pallnet may have the mount available.

If you are a tweeker/tinkerer, Megasquirt may be a good option for you. Depends on how much you understand about electronics/computers.

My SDS has been a set it and forget it install, if I never changed my setup, I would have never needed to mess with it.

Doug

Amen to that!

I know with all the posts I have in the MS forum I probably shouldn't be one to say this, but I think MS is really the easiest route to go. Honestly, if you can solder that's even better because you can buy the kit and assemble it. If not then get a complete MSII from DIY AutoTune and the 12' universal harness and start reading the forums. Even though my car isn't running, it wasn't due to the MS. I figured out my problem in the end when I didn't have time to fix it. I swapped my head with an N42 and didn't realize the end result would be damn near a 10:1 compression ratio. I blew out several head gaskets and probably ruined my narrow band O2, but that will all be dealt with when I get home again. Still the MS kept the car running (not drivable but running) with old 87 octane, stock NA injectors and a crappy narrow bad O2 even after the head gasket blew each time. To me that speaks worlds for MS and it's ability to adapt. I know that once I get the fuel straight and throw in a 2mm head gasket to drop the compression a bit the MS should quickly pick and go.