HybridZ

Door Lock Arms Wont Move Far Enough...

Challenger

Anyone had this problem. It seems the key is turned all the way to the right but the door wont unlock.... Im reassembling the doors and this is holding me up. Anyone had this issue? If you look at the back of the lock where the arm meats the casing it seems like the slotted shape on the back might be worn out?? Anyway to get a new shaft or arm that fits tighter and will therefore move further?

Thanks

IMG00009.jpg

Totally different lock on a 78 than an 81..78 mounts in the door, not the handle, and operates a mechanical slide using the tailpiece...not a rod like the 81. Most times, it's either the rubber sleeve on the end of the tailpiece that gets worn or the latch assembly in the door needs to be adjusted.

I know there is another thread on this topic and I think it was pretty long. IIRC I found that if the bolts holding my locks were TOO tight, it would keep everything from moving freely. In MY car, I also found several different lenth bolts holding stuff together, so some of my issues could be a interferance fit from a too long bolt. I'm not really driving my car too much so I've not adressed yet. lazy...

I hate to reply when I don't have a complete answer, but I had the samething with mine. If you look at how the rods work, you will likely see one that has an elongated hole. It is not supposed to be elongated. A little braze to make it a round hole voila. I am making it sound kinda easy, because I don't have the full details. I had it repaired at a z shop, and this is what he told me.

Scott.