HybridZ

Late model 4 piston Nissan brake options

Hey guys, I'm sure there is likely to be a thread on late model Nissan brake options for earlier Z cars but I really couldn't be bothered going through 102 pages of thread titles LOL, I did briefly go ove rthe FAQ section but it was mostly non Nissan conversions.

There seems to be quite a bit about the Toyota caliper conversions but I was wanting to use late model 4 piston Nissan brakes as thes eare becoming more readily available on the second hand market. Basically I was wondering if any of you guys have used late model Nissan 4 piston brake calipers, more importantly which ones and whether or not they fit straight up or there are bracket kits available to fit them up to the early cars.

Thanks in advance for all/any answers.

cheers

Stef

You should really search.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_61&products_id=8

Thought that it said you can use 240sx brakes at one point.

Th have been guys that use z31 brakes all around with the brackets. Don't know what else is involved.

The 240sx never came with a 4-piston setup, which is what he is looking to equip his car with. i've also wondered what is involved in using the 30mm aluminum z32 setup in front and the dual piston rears. would love to have the sumitomo "NISSAN" stamped gear smiling through my wheels like i have on the 240sx. please and thank you for anyone with info on this.

Well in our part of the world the 240sx is a 200sx and some of the later models of these the S14/S15 did come with the 4 pot Nissan calipers on the fronts :)

LOL, i understand that. i was only talking about the USDM version, the 240sx. planning a move to finland sometime in the next 2 years and I understand they have the 200sx there as well. can't wait!

The only place that I have seen an adaptor for the use of these 4 pots fronts on a S30 is on Yahoo Japan (auction). If I recall the mounting ears on the these later calipers is 100mm where as S30 is 3.5" or 88.9mm.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to use those brakes over the Wilwood or Outlaws... even over the Toyotas?

The only reason I can thing of (going by his location) they are easy to come by and they support a thicker rotor, so if you need to make a mounting bracket you can also add a much larger rotor at the same time that is 30mm or 32mm thick. You have to remember that in our part of the world the Wilwood or Outlaw calipers are usually more $$ due to import cost and duties etc. ie it was cheaper for me to purchase an import some US Brake F88i from the US than purchasing them locally vs secondhand Nissan calipers which can be had for the same price as one or 1/2 a Wilwood.

I did think about these for my project also and was tempted as they would be up the task for the road use etc.

As NZeder said it is the price that comes into it as well, I am currently trying to organize a Wilwood group buy with the JSK adaptor kits here on the AusZcar forum and the cost for the front set up alone is around $1000.

The caliper and rotor sets alone are about $550, this is in Aussie dollars of course, whereas I could get a complete set of second hand 4/2 OEM NIssan brake calipers from a z32 for around $300 then just match up some rotors. It is more for an OEM look not a cost thing for myself as I said I am already in the processes of obtaining the Wilwoods.

I actually priced them here through a local supplier and it was more than well over 2K for I think they were Outlaws though but basically a similar product, that was just for the front set not including fitting. I suppose I just couldn't understand why you would not want to use an OEM product that would only enhance the overall appearance of the car.

So far I'm taking it that no one, apart from someone in Japan, does these, LOL NZeder you might have to teach me Japanese dude.

This car appears to have that exact setup. front and rear.

http:/http://www.commonsnapper.com/newsite/top/feature/z30.html

From that site see z_011.JPG

That does not look like a 240z/S30 front strut - just look at the mounting ears for the brakes - looks like it has 5 bolt mounting all around the spindle?

Also this gives it away too

z_29.jpg

Notice the caliper is front mounted - were as the stock 240z/S30 is a rear mount caliper.

Reason why I posted the adaptors is because the 240sx crowd usually do a 300zx brake conversion and from what I've read, its a direct bolt. So z31 disc, hub and calipers up from and 280zx disc, z31 calipers, adaptor in the rear From my understanding. Or you can just quit guessing and just get a whole setup from link provided before.

I have Z32 front calipers on my S30 - I changed over from Wilwood to Z32 when I converted to 5-lug about 4 years ago. Compared to the old Superlight II, the Z32 calipers suck. The pedal feel is mushy due to caliper deflection. I am converting to the Wilwood forged Superlights right now. If you run a 11.5 inch rotor, the Superlights are simple to bolt on, where as the Z32 caliper uses a 100mm mounting instead of the 90mm (3.5 inch) mounts of the S30.

I have Z32 front calipers on my S30 - I changed over from Wilwood to Z32 when I converted to 5-lug about 4 years ago. Compared to the old Superlight II, the Z32 calipers suck. The pedal feel is mushy due to caliper deflection. I am converting to the Wilwood forged Superlights right now. If you run a 11.5 inch rotor, the Superlights are simple to bolt on, where as the Z32 caliper uses a 100mm mounting instead of the 90mm (3.5 inch) mounts of the S30.

I think this flex/deflection you feel is the reason Nissan/Sumitomo when back to cast iron units not cast alloy.

In the case of the Z32, 90-91 cars had alloy calipers and the later cars went to cast iron calipers of the same design due to flex problems.

My apologies, I got it the wrong way around.

Which am I best to put on my 280ZX then? Cast iron or Alloy?

I have Z32 front calipers on my S30 -

Just a question, did you also replace your booster/master to accomodate for the extra fluid capacity within the calipers themselves??

Just speaking to someone today and the z32 ran a much larger diameter piston (over an inch can't remember exactly) to pump the fluid through the calipers at the rate required. I know alot of people tend to leave this stock so I thought I'd ask.