HybridZ

Late model 4 piston Nissan brake options

The Z32 runs a 1 116 inch master AFAIK. I am running a 280zx master which is 1516. I am going to adapt a larger master, probably the Z31 or Z32 unit, when I upgrade to the Wilwood Superlights. I am changing mainly to reduce the pedal travel.

Just a question, did you also replace your booster/master to accomodate for the extra fluid capacity within the calipers themselves??

Just speaking to someone today and the z32 ran a much larger diameter piston (over an inch can't remember exactly) to pump the fluid through the calipers at the rate required. I know alot of people tend to leave this stock so I thought I'd ask.

I would think the Wilwoods would require even more fluid considering they are typically 1.75" or 1.38" diameter pistons.

In the case of the Z32, 90-91 cars had alloy calipers and the later cars went to cast iron calipers of the same design due to flex problems.

Doug71zt,

I'm curious, has this flex problem been documented?

How does one know if the problem exists and what ill effects it may contribute?

The Z32 runs a 1 116 inch master AFAIK. I am running a 280zx master which is 1516. I am going to adapt a larger master, probably the Z31 or Z32 unit, when I upgrade to the Wilwood Superlights. I am changing mainly to reduce the pedal travel.

I dare say you won't be doing this Wilwood upgrade for some time yet but when you do could you replace your master unit first and try it with the z32's just to see if this might actually be a fix for the pedal feel.

So are people saying that the older heavier cast iron calipers are better than the newer lighter aluminium ones???
The 300zx used alloy for a 26mm rotor then went to alloy for 30mm rotor and then to cast iron supporting the thicker 30mm rotor and also a new design. The caliper difference is well documented on the web as is the flex of the alloy calipers - google is your friend but this will help you tell which is which.

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

or for a different info from here

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Brake_Upgrades_Miscellaneous

Well you got it right and wrong. The 300zx used cast iron first then went to alloy then back to cast iron with the last cast iron supporting the thicker 30mm rotor and also a new design. The caliper difference is well documented on the web as is the flex of the alloy calipers - google is your friend but this will help you tell which is which.

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

or for a different info from here

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Brake_Upgrades_Miscellaneous

I suppose it wouldn't matter for a daily driver, but i had brake fade issues on my 240sx when the iron calipers got hot, and with the aluminum 30mils i've been quite impressed. fwiw

• 7 months later...

I've decided that I'm going to use the Z32 brakes, including doing a 5 lug conversion. The reason I wnat to do this is simply 2 reasons: $$$ and I want the wheel centering ring (or whatever it's called) Even if you have 4 or 5 lugs, you just can't center the wheel properly with just the lug nuts. Oh, and I want to have the disc on the outside of the hub, like on a modern car.

My plan to do this conversion is as follows:

I will take my existing 280Z hubs and turn them down OD to fit inside the disc, then I will turn down the hub to accomodate the ID of the disc. And finally I will turn down so that I have the 66mm wheel centering ring. (if needed I will fab a ring and shrink/weld into the hub to have the correct protrusion of the hub.) Then I'll let my buddy redrill to 5lug pattern, using one of the existing holes (similar to modern motorsports)

In the rear I will, for sure, have to fab a centering ring since the one on the stubshaft doesn't protrude enough.

Redrill for 5lug (just like modern motorsports), turn it down and make sure everything is true. Then just slap the discs on there!

I will also manufacture caliper brackets front and rear.

Emergency brake I will probably use a second set of calipers, wilwood have some nice ones. But the idea of a driveshaft brake have crossed my mind, but I don't remember how much space there is. (probably not enough.)