HybridZ

bad carb?

72 Datsun with a rebuilt swapped motor. Problem: Idles high when car is on and when ignition is turned off the car sputters for 2 mins then turns off. Cranks but doesnt start when turned on. Takes a few times of cranking then turns on. I was told by owner when purchased car first carb nearest to radiator needs rebuild. Has anyone else had this problem? Ive driven car around drives fine other than 2 problems stated above.

Just a guess here but...

A tune up of the carbs would probably help your high idle.

The sputtering once turned off is probably an improperly done alternator swap back feeding the ignition circuit. I don't have the link handy, but do a search for alternator upgrade and look for something about a diode IIRC.

High idle is usaually caused by a vacuum leak, or carb(s) throttle not closed. "dieseling" can result from both. AKA run on. Both can also cause hard cold start . Solve one problem and you'll probably solve the others.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok switched out carbs with a good working set that ran totally fine on my bros 240z. Ok car runs sweet with perfect idle. Problem: Engine still sputters for 10-15 seconds when I turn it off. Then finally shuts off. Where should i start to troubleshoot next?

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely you have excessive carbon build up in your engine. Hot spots in the carbon cause the dieseling. There are some comerical products that you spray into the engine when running that can help.

One of the old school way is to to get the engine up to temp, rev the engine and dump water into the carb, sort of hard on a side draft. I have done this on V8 in the past an it did work. Personally I think you should go with one of the comercial products,

You need to do a complete tune-up on the car and fix all vacuum leaks. After-run is caused by many things and is indicative of a poorly tuned car. Sea Foam won't fix your problem, it may mask it for a short time, but there's something basically wrong with the tune of your engine.